first try at replacing a manifold.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by unit28, May 22, 2007.

1. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate manifolds! until I get paid...LOL

Why don't some people just install all valves near their zones?

I have a freeze break in the 1" T between the valves.
    The valves are all glued in, and the T's are butted against each other.

$570 to replace 4 valves and remake the complete manifold.
    sound good?

Hope it don't take 6 hours, I did alot running back and forth to home depot 3 times...LOL/j/k

2. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I've never figured out why people spread valves out all over a property... I suspect that there is a pretty direct correlation between PVC/Spread valves and Poly/Manifold...

Anyhow... the key to making manifolds is to make them easily serviceable. We only use gasketed fitting so that any component of the manifold can be take out for service/replacement without having to resort to digging or cutting. There are outfits around here that use glued PVC for manifolds, but we consider that the hallmark of a fly by nighter

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Too much digging. Why don't people winterize their sprinklers? Too cheap? Too stupid? Too bad.
    [​IMG]

4. check out this manifold I replaced....We have this at the supply house on the wall of shame.....:nono:

fold.jpg

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Funny, out here in PVC land people using manifold fittings are considered idiots.

6. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

4 zone manifold in 6 hours? you do have 2 arms, right? maybe 2 hours if it's PVC. Once again, poly wins out... a 4 zoner would take about half an hour, soup to nuts.

Around here, gasketed manifolds indicate someone has no clue how things settle, leak, or hold up to the test of time.

We always butt the fittings in a manifold together, but alas, i've never attempted 9 valves in one box, that's a little scary.

Lastly, amen to winterizing. I did a repair the other day, 3 zones w/ AVB's, not winterized last year. replaced all 3, new PVB, etc. Needless to say, at around $800, they learned the value of a blowout.

pg

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

4 Zone manifold in PVC for me takes roughly 2 hours from getting out of the truck to leaving the driveway. This also includes digging in crappy soil.

Oh, and very rarely using a repair fitting.

Did you ditch the AVB valves and thats why the backflow? Or did you ding them for a PVB when they didn't really need one?

8. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

4 zone manifold in 6 hours? you do have 2 arms, right? maybe 2 hours if it's PVC. Once again, poly wins out... a 4 zoner would take about half an hour, soup to nuts.

Around here, gasketed manifolds indicate someone has no clue how things settle, leak, or hold up to the test of time.

We always butt the fittings in a manifold together, but alas, i've never attempted 9 valves in one box, that's a little scary.

Lastly, amen to winterizing. I did a repair the other day, 3 zones w/ AVB's, not winterized last year. replaced all 3, new PVB, etc. Needless to say, at around $800, they learned the value of a blowout.

pg

9. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Manifolds in Dallas are rare. It takes more pipe on a manifold system. I personally think it is easier to dig six 6" valve boxes than one jumbo valve box plus you have to allow for 6 1" pipes in the same ditch. Valves should be placed near their zone of responsibility and preferably in the midpoint of it. I'm in PVC country no poly here.

10. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

That's why I originally said that there was likely a correlation between PVC/spread valves and Poly/manifold. Or maybe its a trench vs. plow correlation, I can never be sure.

I will never cease to be amazed at how differently the same job gets done in different areas.