1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

first walk

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cutbetterthanyou, May 13, 2011.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

This is my first walkway so be easy on me. Tell me what you think, and if you see anything wrong with it. It is geotextile, then 6-8 iches of compacted cr6, concrete sand pavers, then polymric sand for the joints, and edge restraint.

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

IMG_2885.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Too many curves for my liking. Keep it simple and elegant.

3. tslandscaping

tslandscaping LawnSite Member

Those are some crazy curves. You want your curves to flow nicely. It's one thing to add a radius to give your landscape some dimension but your walkway runs all over the place, for no reason whatsoever.

It looks like your cuts are nice and clean and everything seems to be laid out smooth. If you want real feedback post some of the pictures of the work in progress.

4. cutbetterthanyou

I never took any of the work in progress. I actually agree with the to many curves, but that is how the homeowner wanted it he actaully helped me on part of the job. He laid out the shape because i wanted to make sure it was what he and his wife wanted. Its what his wife wanted any she loved it. I was alot of cuts. Thanks for the input

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I see some flaws.

But the biggest thing that stands out is: "that's what the customer wanted" Never EVER justisy lack of experience / wisdom / competency / knowledge as "that's what the customer wanted"

The spelling in the opening post is concerning. I hope your proposal for the job has the correct spellings and terminology.

6. JoeyDipetro

JoeyDipetro LawnSite Member
    from CA

When it comes to structural considerations, I agree with you. However, when it comes to subjective, aesthetic issues, then I can't disagree more. Personal preference is personal preference. If something doesn't compromise the integrity of an application then who cares if the customer gets what they "want."

7. cutbetterthanyou

I see some flaws.

But the biggest thing that stands out is: "that's what the customer wanted" Never EVER justisy lack of experience / wisdom / competency / knowledge as "that's what the customer wanted"

The spelling in the opening post is concerning. I hope your proposal for the job has the correct spellings and terminology

I didn't do a written proposal. This was a job for one of my best friends. I just gave him a price. He knew that i had never done one before, but was willing to give me a chance. The patio that i posted last summer was the same kind of deal. I am really trying to get my feet wet before i take on other jobs. The experience / wisdom / competency / knowledge has not been gained yet so who am i to argue? You said that you see some other flaws can you point them out? I am not going to get mad, i would like to know so i don't do them on the next job. I see some myself, but i would like to see what others see.

8. cutbetterthanyou

If someone don't mind, wound you take my picture, and draw over top of it to show me how you all would have curved it? Keep in mind the portion in the last pic has to funnel down and out. The half circle in the third pic has to be that way she wants to put a big flower pot there.

9. DVS Hardscaper

Joesph, thanks for following along with me and for being a fan of my posts :weightlifter:

Joseph, please understand that when pictures are posted, if I respond, I HAVE studied the photos closely. And my statements are based on what I see.

Joesph, take a very very close look at the photos. A very close look. There is nasty looking flow. And no. I dont mean the curves. Take a close look, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Landscaping is all about asthetics. We don't need radiused walks. Infact, we don't even need walks. We don't need green lawns. We don't need colorful beds. We don't need driveways lined with trees. But that's how Amercan socitey is.

If was only about structure - then a slab of concrete would suffiice. And this is 1/2 the cost of pavers!!!!

So yes, asthetics is 50% of the outdoors.

So Joesph, I realize you're on a kick to argue here with me. But I kindly ask that you please read my award winning statements with a different mindset and get that negative bone out of your head :cool2: I would love to see you offer some pointers in your responses and share your knowledge and experiences :usflag:

Customers know what they like to see, but they do not know what they want. And this is why we have contractors of quality and competency and why we have contractors that really should be working the counter at a rental store instead. To constantly state "thats what the customer wanted" is a cop-out for "I don't know what I'm doing and I don't know how to think for the customer". It's funny, as I have a buddy that owns a kitchen and bath business and not I, but HE brought this subject up just this past Thursday morning on the phone!!!

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  10. DVS Hardscaper

And it's that 1/2 circle with the pocket that is choppy :)