First Walkway, First Water Feature, First Wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Youngbeginner, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Youngbeginner

Youngbeginner LawnSite Member

Any tips, corrections, information is welcome. This was my first time by myself.

Edging.jpg

walk.jpg

Wall 2.jpg

Whole Thing.jpg

Edging.jpg

walk.jpg

Wall 2.jpg

Whole Thing.jpg

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

nice work!

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Try to avoid tiny pieces of flagstone. They almost always remove themselves from the walkway after a short time. Looks good. Did you use fine gravel with polymer in the flagstone joints?

4. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Looks very nice, as mentioned above I would have stayed away from the small peices of stone, but the qaulity looks very nice. Congrats

5. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

Looks excellent. Some will tell you that you should have cut the bricks more on the radius for tighter joints. either way, it looks very nice and I am sure the customer loves it. if that is your first job, you have a very bright future in this business. learn from your "mistakes", move on to the next job and keep up the good work.

BTW: Where's the water feature?

6. Youngbeginner

Youngbeginner LawnSite Member

Here is the water feature.

water feature.jpg

water feature.jpg

7. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Very unique material selection...certainly not a combo you see all the time in a walkway. Like others said the small pieces should go because they're not stable. I typically try not to use anything smaller than a 14x14 or there abouts. Your curves in the layout seem crisp and smooth which will aesthetically make or break an install. The flagstone in the walk has a very unique fractured look to it...very attractive in a way. The water feature isn't for me.....looks like an awkward location for one. It doesn't blend with it's surroundings or look like it was meant to be. All in all though if that's your first install you've got a bright future. Keep up the good work...I look forward to seeing more pics in the future!

8. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with marcus about the water feature but over all looks great.

9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I agree with everything Marcus said... that's probably because he learned everything he knows from me.

Again, the small pieces take away from the overall quality of the install, which is good. Your curves flow very nicely.

I also agree that the water feature seems a bit displaced.

Very good effort for your first install. Keep learning and improving with every job. You definately seem to have a talent.

p.s. what were you using the 2x4 for?

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

The walk and perennials look real good. Indiana has some neat stone. I was there in 1999 and noticed its quite different than what we have in western MD.

Although we have no clue as to how the base was prepared, etc.

BUT - your pond is pathetic. Nothin personal. But it looks like a pile of rock. Ponds should look natural, and mamma nature does not pile rock like that!