First walkway job

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by blsmonroe, Jul 4, 2008.

1. blsmonroe

blsmonroe LawnSite Member

Here are some pics of my first walkway job. I've been cutting lawns for 4 years and I'm just starting into bigger landscaping jobs and paver jobs this year. (I'm sure you haven't heard that before) I know its not perfect, I did learn a lot though. One thing I'm looking for is suggestions on where we turned the running bond pattern to match the turns. Is there an easier way to do this? Or a a way to make it look better? The story behind the fourth picture is we hit a very soft spot of dirt. About 15 sq ft so rather than digging out the usual 7" we dug down about 18-24" to more stable ground.

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

2. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

Any reason why you chose that particular way of making the angle?

3. blsmonroe

More pics:
    We used 4" of road blend base and 1 inch of concrete sand. The pavers are ephenry Old town cobble dakota blend.

Suggestions? Tips?

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

4. blsmonroe

Kevin,
    To answer your question that was one thing i learned from this job. I based my new walkway too much on the layout of the old walkway. The customer wanted it similarly sized to the old walkway (that he did himself).

Also I realize that I didn't go wide enough on the base, that was mostly due to poor planning and basing the excavation for the new walkway mostly off of the old walkway.

5. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

The outline shape isn't bad but I'm referring to the way you cut the block at each angle. It doesn't look like it flows very well.

6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

I would have rounded the curves and the only cuts would have been the ends. Its not flowing right.

7. blsmonroe

Yeah, the walkway went from 5 feet to about 3 feet wide at that point so it was tricky making a uniform turn. That's actually the main thing i'm looking for suggestions on.
    The customer was very happy with it and didn't mention this detail. Some people I showed it to liked how that part looked, others weren't crazy about it. The more I look at it the more i'm not so crazy about it.

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, ummmm. Since it's your first job I wouln't be too harsh. But those corners are unsightly. We stay away from straight paths and corners, but in the event we would need to do that, I think once single mitre would look a hell of alot better. Free flowing and winding is the "straight" path for pavers imo.

9. blsmonroe

Jeez, that bad eh? Thanks for the tip. I figured i should've stayed away from curves since it was my first job, but now it looks like that would've been the way to go right?

10. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

curves are always the way to go.