1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First Water meter install

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I installed a 1 1/2" water meter on thursday, Sorry I didn't take any pictures.

Out here, its really taboo to touch a meter, or do anthing upstream of it, our water Co's really dislike it. So this is the first meter I've installed in 3 years.

All said and done, it was uneventfull, easy, and I don't get what the fuss is about.
  2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Territorial dispute? :laugh:
  3. Dirty Water

I guess, their contractors don't seem to have a problem destroying our lines, but one time when we hit a flowswitch wire from a water main they tried to nail us for over a grand to splice it.

We fought it and they dropped the charge.
  4. PurpHaze

My wife asked me last week if I'd help a neighbor replace a water meter that was leaking in order to save them some money. I told her that the meter and all lines into/under the street were the city's responsibility. She then took pictures and reported the problem to the city. Area was so wet that 3' tall Johnson grass was growing and plenty of water was running down the gutter. City crew came out the next day and replaced the meter at no charge. Funny thing is that even though each house has a meter we aren't metered... just pay a flat fee. AND the meters were put in back in the late 70s and are plastic.
  5. PurpHaze

Government agencies are usually good at this. Raise enough stink, take pictures, have your ducks all in a row and they don't want to fight you. Be disorganized and you'll take the $ in the shorts. :laugh:
  6. Dirty Water

I guess it depends on who you deal with. This meter was a dedicated irrigation meter for a large commercial project. I expected the city to come in and install it, but instead a city guy came by and gave it to me, with a valvebox and a double check and then took off.

I already had a doublecheck too. Free doublecheck woohoo :D
  7. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

You are lucky - the county I live in won't install a separate water meter on the irrigation line after the POC ((and subtract that water usage off the regular meter so that we don't pay sewer charges on the irrigation water). They will, however, install a separate meter in a pit in the yard, for the bargain price of $3k.
  8. Dirty Water

I think the reasion for my luck was because this is a new project, with brand new waterline. A special irrigation meter was specced in on the water main install, so the tap out on the mainline was put in from the beginning.
  9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

The only systems here that have seperate meters are large commercial sites. I have never seen a seperate meter for a residential.
  10. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

City guys are lazy, he was probably supposed to install it but wanted to take off early so he dropped it off and ran.