first week in business

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by gosselin142258, Mar 15, 2008.

1. gosselin142258

gosselin142258 LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Ok so last sunday I walked all over passes out 350 or so flyers in and around my neighborhood and a coupe other "hot sports". By monday night I already has 3 phone calls for me to look at their yards. It's now saturday I've met/estimated for 8 people already. And I've trimmed hedges for one man. and he wants me to do all his yard maintenance this season. I have a few more Spring cleanups and also All three of those want me to maintain their yard all season. plus I have about 4 or 5 family/friends who are going to utilize me this season. All and All I feel like The flyers have been a success thus far. I didn't even plan on 5 calls. I'm happy at this. I'm only a one man operation so this is really a decent start for me.

2. Integrity LC

Integrity LC LawnSite Member

that's great, and I am assuming that you are legal and insured?

If so congrats and good luck... if your not, then well... good luck and hope something does not happen.

3. OUTLANDER

OUTLANDER LawnSite Senior Member

legal?.....you act as if he's an alien or something......only if your state calls for it man..lol,this kills me,all this criticizm,almost seems like jealousy(just my opinion so relax).......how about a simple "GREAT JOB".....sounds like you're very dedicated,and hard working<good thing man,keep it up

4. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats ! Provide good service and word of mouth will help you grow more.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Good job, hopefully next week when my business cards come in I will have your kind of luck.

6. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

DITTO!!!!!!

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I love these threads from new people and the first reply is are you legal.

Q: What kind of trimmer line are you using?
    A: Are you legal?

What ever happened to just answering the OP's question? If you don't have an appropriate answer, move on?

I replied to a thread in the pesticide forum where a guy asked about an unprofessional homeowner hose end sprayer and I mentioned I had one. I may as well told them I was using mowers from WalMart, Electric trimmers and edgers and was uninsured and non licensed.

I guess when everyone starts out anything we purchase must be professional or it wont work.

8. gosselin142258

gosselin142258 LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I am in fact legal for what it's worth. I am registered w/ uncle sam and the boys and I'm in the process of my insurance. And thanks for all the support guys. I forgot to add. I only do this part time I work a job 5 days a week 7-3:30 but I just want to start out small because my other job currently is giving me health and dental coverage.

9. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I myself am from far, far away. Planet Fakelawn... we don't have grass, it's all artificial thanks to our new government up there. Many moons ago they raised gas prices, causing an influx of electric powered mowers, soon after a residential artificial turf created. So I figured I'd come down here and corner the market against all you earthlings. you may have seen me out working on my Hovermower, but I try to keep it low key as not to stand out. And now, all your government wants to do is jack up these gas prices in order to get rich themselves. History repeats itself. Off to the next planet.

10. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Same here! Its not that were trying to be A##HOLES in here but more than enough times were out working and see a 1/2 Dozen "non LIGIT" lawn companys pricing out dirt cheap lawn care because they dont have to pay the same exspences we do to be a Legal business. That why people always ask no offence