first week with new set up...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Apr 6, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

things i've learned this week, with the new set up.
    this is my my first time using and driving a trailer, atleast one larger then 4x8..
    1) people like to park right against the back door so when your in the back yard working, you have to move the truck up just to open the ramp door... what are people thinking?

2)me backing my trailer in to the driveway is a comedy.. if i got it tape, you'd die. (although today i was pretty sharp). anyone else take some time learning to back that thing up, an enclosed 6x12?

3)Peltors.. what a difference. i can listen to the yankee game while i work. the day's are flying by, and i have no ringing in my ears.

just thought i'd throw my trailer dilemmas out there, i guess its just something you have to get used to, more like clueless people. the trailer itself is great. i have everything i need, and a ramp. i've been lifting equipment for 7 years, out of vans, pick ups, dump trucks.. my back feels great so far.
    hope everyone's doing good.
    i'm paying alot more attention to safety this year. eye and ear protection. one of the things i really got from this site, was these safety issues crammed down my throat... thank you.

2. greenwithenvylandscape

greenwithenvylandscape LawnSite Member

Keep in mind, the shorter the trailer, the harder it is to back up! BTW do you use your mirrors or turn around? Glad you are enjoying youself....as it should be!

3. fga

i use the both if i can. my wife was backing me in directing me.. made me run into the overhang above my driveway... women :)

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Adam -

When backing your trailer, if your front wheels and trailer are straight, and you put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, which ever direction you move your hand, that's the direction your trailer will start to turn.

Just a little FYI, incase you hadn't noticed.

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Sure blame it on your wife,like she doesn't have enough to worry about then she has to back you into the driveway. :)
    On a more serious note glad to see things are going good for you so far this year...That trailer will save your back and everything else in the long run.
    I know what your talking about with the Peltors I just opened mine last night for the first time to listen to the Tribe game today.You do get a little feed back from the backpack with it on AM but its better then nothing.

6. fga

i'm getting the hang of it, its mostly trying to get the swing correctly. into my driveway. i backed down a whole block, that i ca handle. i just look in the mirrors to see whiich way the trailer is going. i know if i turn into it it straightens out (you know what i mean).
    what you said makes sense though. does it become like second nature, or is it always a pain in the..
    i don't get angry, i think its funny, especially when i'm holding up traffic.

7. LwnmwrMan22

Best thing you can do is go buy a bigger trailer, one with tandem axles. They don't turn as fast.

I can back my 24' enclosed trailer down the road about 45 mph, but the boat sucks even backing into the dock, since it's just a single axle.

8. LwnmwrMan22

Lux -

If you haven't done so already, take your sparkplug out from the backpack and go get one either crossreferenced or one with an "R" in the "number". That'll help out with most of the feedback / static.

9. fga

i was gonna say something about the feedback. its not too bad, but noticeable on some equipment, trimmer and blowers. the mowers, i guess its far enough away. they'll be chrstal clear, then when you run equipment and they get "itchy", just click the tune dial a touch... it helped me alot. but i'd have to click it back when i turn the machine off.

hey, don't mistake doing good for me being happy with the set up :) . i can't find a worker at all. tried using my younger brother today.... kids today don't have the drive at all. i started ahead of schedule, now i'm behind. :dizzy: there's alot of money on the table. hope i can get to it, without losing them. its got me stressed out alittle. i keep telling myself i have time, but people don't want to hear it.
    how's it going for you so far?
    isn't it cool catching the game while mowing, goes by so fast.

10. fga

interesting. why would that be, just curious? cheap plugs?