Lawn Care Forum banner

First Well install...

3K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  bicmudpuppy 
#1 ·
I need some advice on a well install I have scheduled; this well is less than 1 year old and is set at 40 PSI.
This system will have two zones, zone one: 5-1804's with mp3000's and zone two: 6-1804's with mp3000's.
I have been to the Irrigation tutorials and read and re-read and completed the the work sheet for the Dry Method. The design flow comes out to 8.8 GPM.
I have calculated the friction loss for zone one, which comes out to 32.73 PSI Actual Pressure at Head. Zone one will use 5.38 GPM. No elevation change for zone one.
The well is 430' deep.
Dynamic Water Depth 300'.
5' casing.
1 1/4" service line to tank reduced to 1" to home. I want to tap in the 1" line and go from there.
Does all this sound correct/workable?

Plant Tree Cylinder Gas Storage tank

See less See more
#5 ·
That 60/40 switch has the low point set at 40, do you know what the actual dynamic pressure is with the pump running?

Also, you need to rethink your zone sizing to better match the output of the pump, though that massive pressure tank will help some.
I don't no the dynamic pressure with the pump running; could I calculate it from the pressure tank?

The zone sizing, should I match it to the figure on the Dry Test? 8.8 GPM or the actual bucket test?

#7 ·
the static is 40 psi. i didn't have a bucket with me when I stopped by to see the well...

#9 ·
how do i adjust the pressure?

#11 ·
looking at the picture, would that be the valve with the red handle?

#14 ·
WB, where is the discharge?

#16 ·
WB, where is the discharge?
Open the faucet and let the water into a bucket. This is your discharge.

By varying the flow with the faucet, you will see the dynamic pressure of the pump as you will find the pressure that the pump will be able to produce while actually discharging water. This is actually the realistic pressure you will see to the sprinklers.

Get that number, and time how long it takes to fill up a 5 gallon bucket, do some math and you have the two most important numbers:

Dynamic PSI, and Max GPM.

Try to match your zones as close as possible to the max GPM.

#17 ·
DW, I sent you a PM.

I will do the bucket test without the hose.

#19 ·
the pump is 1.5hp; i tried to locate the installer but i did not have any luck. New home owner does not no who installed the pump.

#21 ·
If I were you,I would go back to jess stryker's "wet method" if you and the owner are serious about this and get a true flow and pressure check. You do not want to burn up a motor! Go exaclty by his example.I did mine this way and was dead on with the flow.You might as well if your going to have to "T" in anyway.

#22 ·
Hello all and thanks for the help. Just wanted to share a pic with everyone of the test we did on Saturday (I got some help from a great irrigator with LOTs of well experience!). After replacing a broken pressure gauge and performing a Wet test we determined the well will produce 8.5 GPM.

Automotive tire Biome Toy Urban design Machine

#23 ·
One thing you didn't mention was how much water the well makes. I assume you have that covered but just checking. I'm not an irrigation expert but I know a thing or two about wells. And by the way, they sure have a lot of junk taped on that pipe. ;)
That's insulation under that tape...it gets cold here in the winter.

#26 ·
In a lot of well situations, irrigators (esp. me) like to recomend raising the pressure settings on the pressure switch. In your case, I don't think that is a real good idea. 430' of head to the top of the well is going to be almost 20psi. I hope the rest of the site is somewhat flat? 1.5hp @80psi of head (60psi shut down) is going to be near the top of any 1.5hp pumps curve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.