First Well install...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by No Rush, Jun 7, 2007.

1. No Rush

No Rush LawnSite Member

I need some advice on a well install I have scheduled; this well is less than 1 year old and is set at 40 PSI.
    This system will have two zones, zone one: 5-1804's with mp3000's and zone two: 6-1804's with mp3000's.
    I have been to the Irrigation tutorials and read and re-read and completed the the work sheet for the Dry Method. The design flow comes out to 8.8 GPM.
    I have calculated the friction loss for zone one, which comes out to 32.73 PSI Actual Pressure at Head. Zone one will use 5.38 GPM. No elevation change for zone one.
    The well is 430' deep.
    Dynamic Water Depth 300'.
    5' casing.
    1 1/4" service line to tank reduced to 1" to home. I want to tap in the 1" line and go from there.
    Does all this sound correct/workable?

DSCF0064.jpg

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

That 60/40 switch has the low point set at 40, do you know what the actual dynamic pressure is with the pump running?

Also, you need to rethink your zone sizing to better match the output of the pump, though that massive pressure tank will help some.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Run the pump, and time how long it takes to fill a bucket. Let it run for a few hours, and repeat the test.

4. mikecaldwell1204

mikecaldwell1204 LawnSite Member

430 feet :dizzy: Damn were at like 43 inches lol

5. No Rush

No Rush LawnSite Member

I don't no the dynamic pressure with the pump running; could I calculate it from the pressure tank?

The zone sizing, should I match it to the figure on the Dry Test? 8.8 GPM or the actual bucket test?

6. Wet_Boots

Forget your zones. Measure the water supply. Bucket. Wristwatch. Pressure gauge.

7. No Rush

No Rush LawnSite Member

the static is 40 psi. i didn't have a bucket with me when I stopped by to see the well...

8. Wet_Boots

Every now and then, a well will fail to perform the way you expect. Run the water, for as long as you can, and do the 'bucket test' at whatever pressure you choose to have at the pressure tank.

9. No Rush

No Rush LawnSite Member

how do i adjust the pressure?

10. Wet_Boots

Open or close the discharge, until you run steady at 50 psi. Measure flow. Repeat for other pressures if you choose.