1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First Whiner At Price Increase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffex, Mar 20, 2005.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I started going around my lawn route and knocking on doors to see who is on the list for this year. I am raising prices $2 for most people and the last $2 increase was 2 years ago. Most people are understanding about the gas price increase and we soon move our conversation to what they want done to their yard this year. HOWEVER! someone is always first to whine about the increase. Mrs X is a good customer but her jaw dropped when I told her of the change." you just raised prices last year thats unreasonable" I told her it was 2 years ago and gas was $1.50 then. She insisted that it was last year and let out a gasp . I said she was probably right and I would understand if she wanted to cancel . I asked her to let me know because I usually get 10 to 15 calls in April for new customers who are willing to pay $35 for the now $29 cut she gets. Shut her right up. "OH PEOPLE PAY THAT MUCH" "sure Mrs. X you told me yourself you don't know what you would do without me to take care of the lawn for you" Then I reminded her that $2 a cut is only $40 or $50 for the whole season. Remember why you hired me ?because the neighbor kid was undependable! Oh yeah that will be fine she said. Thats why I always say I cut lawns for free and deal with people for money . Just part of the game of city farming!!
  2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

some people just don't get it until you break it down for them.
  3. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

And yet when they to the supermarket and the prices have gone up, they just accept it. Go figure. ;)
  4. jeffex

I always know someone will whine. I just wonder who will be the first each time. Just like at the end of the season I can't wait to see who will be the first to say "Well I guess that the last cut of the year" and its at the beginning of Sept. Never fails . Sometimes its easier to take on new customers at higher prices than to get that look from some old lady like you just grabbed her purse and ran.
  5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Been lucky so far, no complaints. I'm sure I will have 1 or 2. Glad you stuck to your guns.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Point out that an average beverage at Starbucks costs $4. Cutting out just one coffee per week will pay for the price increase for two weeks...
  7. fastpitcher

fastpitcher LawnSite Member
    from PA

Raise it in June or July. not now!
  8. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto...or just raise your fuel surcharge at this rate!
  9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Excellent idea
  10. jeffex

I have never tried raising prices mid season but I think I will do that this year. I'll raise 1/2 of the people at the start and the others mid season when gas is at its peak for vacation time. I may be able to raise a higher amount then. I like to personally speak to each of my customers instead of just a notice before the mowing starts so I don't have any surprises. People are anxious for spring to arrive as bad as we are. We're still probably 3-4 weeks away from cutting grass .