First Work Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Townhouse Yards, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Cody S

Cody S LawnSite Senior Member

Im planning on getting a Topkick to pull my air compressor

2. jakes mowing

jakes mowing LawnSite Senior Member

Trust me i have nothing against 3/4 tons! I own one and im 15! But his scenario isn't like mine. His dad is buying his so he is limited to what he can get. I bought mine so I could choose what I could get.

3. jakes mowing

jakes mowing LawnSite Senior Member

And dont rule out dodge! Dodge is by far the best truck out there IMO. You cant really go wrong with any of the big three tho. They will all have problems along the line that's just how it is, just don't get a foreign truck please....

4. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

You sure that's enough truck? Better look at Peterbilts.

5. Cody S

Cody S LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know maybe I should look into some day cabs.

6. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Nah. You want a sleeper cab, so you can take naps between mowing customers. Also, think about how nice it'll be to just roll into the bunk, when you've been out plowing snow all day and night. :cool2:

7. Townhouse Yards

Townhouse Yards LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Thanks guys!

8. Townhouse Yards

Townhouse Yards LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Ok, I can't reply to everybody, but I will say a couple of things.

1. Uturf: Just as jakes mowing said, 3/4 ton is out of the question. You gave some good reasons, but it is not justifiable for my situation right now, just as Patriot Services said.

2. I actually test drove a pickup this past Sunday. My dad took me to an independent dealer, and I drove a 4wd, v6, ford ranger. Now, this was not orginally what I wanted. But, after driving in it, and sitting in it, I found a foot/knee position that works. I also found a truck with less miles, for less money than the dealer truck on craigslist. I called the guy up, we are going to meet on friday. The plan has now shifted, once again, to a different truck. Before anyone says anything, I only plan to have the truck for 4 to 5 years and then I hope to upgrade to something bigger. Realistically, it make sense though. I will be doing landscaping through the rest of high school, and a little bit less in college. Then, I'll graduate with my degree, and be ready to upgrade to something bigger, in order to grow the business. In retrospect, I may have titled the thread wrong when I said "First Work Truck". I think it should be "First Truck". Anyways, any opinions on 4.0l v6 rangers are welcomed, or just general advice/comments.

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Sure. back in my solo days I pulled your exact trailer with Ranger 2WD with 2.5 and a 5 speed. 6 years later sold it with 256,000 miles on original clutch. The 4.0 would be fine for you.:usflag:

10. T.L.C.2013

T.L.C.2013 LawnSite Member

The 4.0l is a good motor and has plenty of power.
    Posted via Mobile Device