First Work Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Townhouse Yards, Nov 3, 2013.

1. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

I would love to hear why you chose a ranger after your 6 month search .

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I think father had a lot to do with the choice. I get that, sometimes you have to make work with what you got. Let's face it he is a new guy that doesn't have or need several Ztrs and 10 handhelds all on a 16 foot top of the line trailer. Too many guys start out way overkill and never get caght up. A young solo guy can make a decent living with a 5x10 trailer, a wb or short ZTR and handhelds. Its always easy to upgrade when the situation merits it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Townhouse Yards

Townhouse Yards LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I chose the ranger for several reasons.

1. My dad. He really felt concerned about me starting with a full size truck. He wants me to start small and work my way up. I have driven 3 different rangers, one of which i now own, and they handle a lot differently then what i learned to drive on, an 03 Honda CR-V, of course. After driving them, I am glad I started smaller.

2. My plan for the next couple of years. I will be landscaping in college, but not a lot. It made snse to go small now, to save for the big stuff later. I have decided after college to work for a couple national companys for a few years, and then go off on my own, which at that point I will buy a 350/3500.

3. The engine. My dad was dead set on me driving a V6, no way around it. This was one of the better V6's that came up when i researched them.

4. Cost of insurance. I am paying for half of insurance, and it is less for an 17/18 yr old to drive a ranger than a 150.

5. Size. This was the only compact truck that accomodated my size reasonably well. Tacoma, frontier, s10, colorado, dakota did not work.

That is about it. I am super excited to finally have a truck, and it will in for a lot of use coming soon. I will have a few questions later about towing, but I won't worry about them for now.

003.jpg

004.jpg

008.jpg

013.jpg

015.jpg

007.jpg

005.jpg

012.jpg

4. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Have your dad listed as primary driver for insurance reasons
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Townhouse Yards

Townhouse Yards LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Yeah, I am added onto his policy right now. Cost half of what I thought it would. Whiffy, what do you think of the ranger? I know it's not a half ton, but do you think it can tow a single axle utility trailer well?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

Nice truck! You will have absolutely NO trouble towing your trailer. For a while I actually towed a 6.5 x 18 with a ZTR and Sub-Compact Tractor on it with a 21 inch mower and two trimmers and a blower. It was a little much for the Ranger, but it handled it better than I thought! That 4.0 with the 4.10 gear ratio pulls hard. When I had my 6 x 12 trailer the Ranger pulled it like it was nobody's business.