First Work Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Townhouse Yards, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Townhouse Yards

Townhouse Yards LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I will definitley check one out when I start going out to dealerships. Thanks for the advice!

2. Townhouse Yards

from VA

Thank you for the advice. As of yet, nothing is decided, but I will be sure to update the thread when I've found a couple of possible trucks.

I have future goals, but I'm not sure if I will be going to college in my local area, or going away to college, so that impacts my goals too.

3. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

i would go with a one ton, I like fords i'm 6'2 and drive a 97 f350 regular cab 7.3 turbo diesel 4x4 and plow with it and do everything with it. I tow 10 yards of mulch with it in 7x14 dump trailer with ease, I have towed 4 yards of topsoil with it with ease, I have plowed 36" inch of snow with it, not with ease, but that's because I was learning how to plow that much snow, the truck had plenty of power to push. I tow my 18' landscape trailer with another f350 on my landscape with ease. I pull 4-5' high shrubs out of the ground with ease, and I get 12mpg while doing so consistently. I also do all my towing and drive in stop and go traffic around town, very little highway driving mixed in and when it is i'm usually doing 75 so I not driving the truck nice. it's always getting hammered on and its been taking the abuse for 50,000 miles no signs of quitting any time soon, its built ford tough. I prove that every day, even towing offroad with 12-16,000 behind it in the worst conditions possible. I paid 3500 for my truck and it still has very littler rust on the body, or anywhere on the truck especially for a ct truck that has had plow on it for 16 years and 287,000 miles...

4. nylesedwards

nylesedwards LawnSite Member

At least a 3/4 I started out with a f150 but after a year had to get a f250
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

I understand that a one ton is more then you need right now but you will grow into it....or you can buy a compact toyota extended cab 2wd for 5,000. then get a 30 people to ask to you plow their driveway or snow blow it, then you have to sell the toyota for 4x4 one, then you have someone ask you to haul away some logs that are 7' long and won't even fit in your truck unless you cut them up a lot, then you end up getting a bigger trailer now you have to sell the 4x4 toyota for a 3/4 ton then you have that for a year or so and you get sick of the 7 or 8mpg the gas motor gets towing your 6x10 trailer and you need a bigger trailer and now need a bigger truck to tow that trailer and now you finally decide you want to plow snow, so you want an 8' plow at least, so now you need a 1 ton truck that can handle this heavier plow, and tow your bigger trailer and haul more weight. It really is a lot easier and cheaper to just buy one 4x4 1 ton from the start, gas or diesel is up to you, but I wouldn't buy a gas truck. diesel is the only option for me with the heavy weight i'm moving 3-4 days a week. plus the longevity of a diesel is amazing. my 7.3 is a million mile motor....cummins are million mile motors, duramax are 500,000 mile motors which is still nothing to shake a stick at. all the trucks have issues. but in my opinion a ford 7.3 is gonna be the most reliable cheapest to run option. i've payed my mechanic about 2800 for maintenance on my truck this year alone most of it was done in excess, but I would rather change parts that are a little worn out, then need the truck and have it broken because I was trying to be cheap and save money and no replace something cheap like a water pump or tie rod or anything on the entire truck for that matter. If my driver side wheel bearing needed to be replaced both sides got done, that's how I am and always have been with maintaining my vehicles. I get my oil changed pretty close to every 3000 miles, sometimes I go a little over, but for only 75-80 dollars its cheap insurance to just change it every 3000 miles...plus I work the cost of my maintenance programs into my expenses so when I go to bid a lawn, or clean up or anything at all I know how much I have to make per day/week and month to continue maintaining my equipment with an open check book.

6. KG26

KG26 LawnSite Member

You will expand I have out grown my current 5X8 trailer...

7. Townhouse Yards

from VA

Wow, thanks for all the advice. As of right now, leaning towards a 1/2 ton, possibly a 3/4 ton. I agree with you though on diesel truck and the 7.3 engine.

How is the regular cab in head and leg room for you?

8. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Stay away from dealerships! Their pricing has to have enormous margins to pay the flooring (interest) on their expansive inventories. Craigslist and classifieds are the way to go.

9. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

ok, i didn't read every post, but DO NOT make a big mistake…buy a 3/4 ton, i can not stress that enough…1/2 is simply stupid unless it was strictly fuel related and you got a v6…i will say it again, DO NOT buy a 1/2, that's just stupid

3/4 tons are not that much more expensive if more expensive at all…i agree with one post, don't buy from a dealership…i found my dream truck on ebaymotors in 2010 and still love my decision to this day…oddly enough AutoTrader has a MUCH wider selection

with my experience with trucks i have found that the super duty has the most interior room…i have a 2008 super duty and my friend has a 2008 GMC 3/4 ton (both crew cabs) and he noticed that i have much more room in the cab than he does

a 3/4 ton is not any different than a 1/2 other than stronger suspension and bigger brakes, so why waste the money on a half ton…if you are even considering plowing then this shouldn't even been a question

and i would never buy a truck that didn't have 4x4, unless it was made for towing and would never see mud or snow…2x4 trucks are terrible in slick conditions because there is NO weight in the back, i would hate to have a front wheel drive car pull me out of the ditch

a 1 ton is also an option, but much harder to find

so either buy a v6 2x4 half ton or a 3/4 ton 4x4…i like diesel but i wouldn't say that is the hands down decision, especially in your case…

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  10. Townhouse Yards

from VA

Ok, I was alternating between craigslist, carmax, eBay, and dealerships. I was noticing that the dealerships were overpriced and didn't have the year of truck I wanted. I'll stay away. Carmax isn't that great either.
    Posted via Mobile Device