first year customers..

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mrk'sLawn, May 19, 2006.

1. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

How many customers did most guys have their first year? Just wondering cause I hit a dry spot when it comes to calls. Still have a nice display add running for 6 more weeks. I have 16 full time customers and a few one time jobs like tree take downs, mulching and such. Just wondering if that # is good for a first year guy.. Thanks much..

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Your kickin my ass...

3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

First season I had 25 lawns and about 45 snow customers. Good Luck.

4. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

Not bad.. In the past 2 days I've gotten calls for 3 apartment complexes and 6 houses within 1 miles of each other.

5. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 23 right now (its my first year in lawns) I don't like about 5 of them though, I could lose them and not feel too bad about it. I am about to have delivered 3000 door hangers to see if I can pick up a few more.

6. Green-Cuts

Green-Cuts LawnSite Member

This is my first year and the only advertising I have done is an add in the paper and I am up to 26 weekly customers. 3 of those are comercial accounts to. My goal for my first year was to have 15 weekly accounts by the end of june. I think that any customers your first year is better than none.:dancing:

BJ

7. yankeesdood16

yankeesdood16 LawnSite Member

This is my 1st year and I only have 5 yards per week. I'm hoping to get more soon though.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I got up to about 40 single family homes. I also got my first HOA that year and 25 hours of commercial work a week. At the end of the first real year I also got the contract for a large industrial park.

I feel the # of lots or homes is meaning less. You are only selling time so the hours of work sold matters more than the number of contracts.
    I like to get between 35 and 40 per guy

9. ENDURO

ENDURO LawnSite Member

You guys who hand out flyers or use door hangers. How do you deliver them? Do you pay some kids to do it and if so how much. Do you park your car in a neighborhood and just start walking up to peoples doors? I'm getting ready to order some door hangers, but can only imagine how long it would take me to walk a neighborhood.
    Thanks,

10. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I hire temp help (even though it is expensive). What I like about that is I can hire 4 or 5 guys and drop them off here and there, do that block. That way each guy can delivery about 500 in 6-7 hours, I'm happy if I get 2000-3000 out in a single day and I have never actually delivered a SINGLE one myself, lol.:cool2:

But you do have to baby sit the guys, I tell them to make sure to hang them so I can see them so if I lose you I can follow the door hangers, never give some one a thousand flyers to deliver on his own, always drive them around and keep them loaded up with flyers and walking.