First year doing leaf removal, bidding too low?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MR HYDROSEED, Nov 11, 2005.

1. MR HYDROSEED

MR HYDROSEED LawnSite Member

This is my first year doing leaf cleanups, i was pretty excited and thought i was going to love it, hmmmm. The good news or bad news is i'm landing every bid. I think i may be bidding too low or they just like me? I've been quoting $250-400 for each job. Not very large yards, each yard would maybe fill half of my dodge rams 8ft. bed with leaf box. I'm averaging $50/man hour, i hope. Things aren't as efficient as they could be also. I'd like to up it to $100/pmh but that will take more money and a lot of the jobs are to be schedulled after thanksgiving so there's no money flow yet. What are you guys charging for a 1/4 acre lot with half a truck load of shredded leaves that would take you about 3-4 hours? I just have a hard time telling someone $600 to remove their leaves.

2. Magnum Services

Magnum Services LawnSite Member

This is being discussed on the "starting a new business site" right now.I mulch all leaves unless the city where my customers live do leaf pick-ups.Hauling away leaves presents a problem as you have to have a place to dump them and that is usually done by 1.owning property to dump on 2.paying to go to the city dump or 3.illegally dumping them.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

if you're averaging $50pmh then I'd say you're doing good. try pushing the envelope a little and see what the limit is. Sounds like you've got enough work to "gamble" on a couple with high $ numbers

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello and werlcome to the site Mr hydroseed. So your the guy lowballing around the coast:angry: Just kidding :) Thats not a bad hourly charge to start out, we are much higher but not quite $100/man/hr. I have now problem telling people its going to take $700 - $1100 or more to clean their leaves. This is hard work they don't want to do.

You have a good niche market with just hydroseed, why are you branching out?

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I had been charging $60 a man hour, but that was too low. This year I am upping it to $65 per man hour and a $10 dump fee. This will cover dump fee and pays for my time driving to the dump and back. I can probably collect 10 lawns worth of leaves before I need to dump.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

i shoot for $50 i know im work more but, thats about all I can get

7. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont ,, ever try raking a 600 dollar yard . i have leaf jobs that pay 1400- 1800 an when i hand them the bill i smile real big ,cause its worth every cent!! an if they dont like the bill they are keeping the leaves cause if ya short me my money you getting a free dump rite back where we started !!