First year, Going very very well

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by theguynextdoor, Apr 9, 2008.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

Thought I would share my story. I am 18 now, and have registered my LLC, tax #, and all of that. I have mowed a few lawns since I was 13 and got 25 accounts for snowplowing this past winter. I passed out about 300 flyers in my neighborhood. I didn't just throw out some pieces of paper. I got manilla envelopes, and put my flyer inside, a contract for mowing with price for their lawn, and a self addressed envelope in the big folder and hung them on mailboxes. I think it looks better than just a piece of paper that ends up in the rain or in the bushes.

I have 11 lawns so far for the season. I also have 9 or 10 spring cleanups. I did an estimate yesterday for one yard for $1300. Also got a few jobs planting a few trees and lots of mulch.

I bought my truck in the fall and I'm buying a 48 inch, Scag hydro walk behind with grass catcher and velke. The mower has 125 hours on it and he is also giving me a brand new sidewalk edger, 1 weedwacker, and 1 blower all for $2000. Cool guy, takes good care of his stuff, so I think its a good deal.

Just gotta get my trailer at the end of the week to start mowing within 2 weeks or so, still no growing up here.

So far its going good. Just thought I would share. This is just on the side since I'm in college, so I can't take on too many lawns. My goal was 20, hopefully I'll still get a few more in the next week or so.

2. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

My goal for this year is 20 solid accounts also. Looks like your well on your way. Best of luck!

3. toddcl

toddcl LawnSite Member

Hey wgen I started when I was 12 and I sold my first business when I lived in Kansas City and then I moved to Tulsa and started college and had to stat a whole new company and my first year i had like ten yards it was depressing and now I am graduating and I have over 40 yards. So all you have to do is keep your head up and stay positive. You sound like your on your way. Good Luck.

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

people still arent experienced enough to know about putting anything on in ora around the mailbox....

just sad

5. DrGreenThumb

DrGreenThumb LawnSite Member

Anyone registered in this thread??

6. mobileboy

mobileboy LawnSite Member

Check with your state about plantings. Here in Alabama, we have to test and have a registered professional service license to plant, apply herbicides/pesticides, give landscape design advice, or trim trees. All of these activities require separate tests to the tune of $75 each. The tests aren't easy either! I have a degree from Auburn University, so I know a little bit about testing; and the LD (landscape design) test was as difficult as any final exam I took in my 6 years at school (double major). Better check with your state ag board. 2000 dollar fine if you're not licensed here!

7. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

I do need a permit to resell plants from a nursery, plant them, transport yard waste, etc. It costs 100 dollars, and I will be applying for it in the next few days. No test though. There's also a separate permit for applying pesticides, which I don't need at this point. Also need a separate 35.00 dollar permit for my town, you just need to show your federal tax ID # to prove that you are a registered business.

I put them on the mailboxes because I can't afford to mail them all as I'm starting a business and have a lot of costs. I would say mine looked for professional than the one stuffed in mailboxes, newpaper boxes, blowing all over lawns, stuck in bushes, and in the gutters. I didn't put them in the mailbox, I know that's illegal. I got 3 landscape company flyers inside my mailbox this spring.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

why dont you do a search here about putting flyers on mailboxes, it could cost you thousands of dollars.....

how can you be a member of this site, and still not know its ILLEGAL to but your flyers in, on, or around the mailbox,

with fines up to a thousand dollars per occurance,

think you wont get cought, wait till an established legal comany finds out, all it takes is a call to the local postmaster...

instead of posting all the time ... you new guys should read, and search

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=222142