First Year in Buis. Help With Multch Estimate

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rsmith2, Apr 28, 2008.

1. rsmith2

rsmith2 LawnSite Member

I need some help on an estimate for 20 yards of mulch to be spread in beds around property. Property size is approx 3/4 acre. I will also have to edge all beds. In addition to mulch I will need to spread 3" River Rocks in planting beds around a pool area. This area is 4' x 60' and 12" x 30' for a total of 600 sq ft.

I believe the cost of Mulch in NJ is $30.00 a yard plus Delivery.
    I have not yet found a price for 3" River Rocks.

Any Help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Rick
    Lawnforce

2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

well How many yards can you do in a hour time? That is your hourly rate. How many feet can you edge in a hour that is edging rate. You have the mulch price. That is the basic formula and only you can fill in the blanks.

When I started I edged out my house and took the time down. I also mulched it and took the yards per hour. this is basic but I have never lost money on this basic info.

3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

This is the right approach. Take this information and come up with a simple pricing plan. I can make money on mulch at $75/cu yd for Hemlock. or $70 for pine. I do ok edging beds at 75 cents/ft. Weeding beds is about $60/hr. So for me, 20 yds of mulch is $1500. Plus edging, etc.

In fact I'm returning customer calls today due to rain. I just spoke to a new customer that wanted mulch installed. He wanted me to come out and measure. I asked him how much he usually gets, and he told me 4 yds. I told him over the phone that it would cost $300, and I can do it next Tuesday. No need for a meeting/estimate/followup.

One call, done deal, and his little project is on the schedule.

4. rsmith2

rsmith2 LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice however i have never done this and dont know how long it will take. The mulch will cost me $750.00 delivered and the stone will cost $800.00 delivered for 14 tons. Anyone have any idea on a cost for the labor.

Thanks
    rick

5. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I can only help you with the mulch labor. I can do 2 yards per hour solo. So figure 10 hours minimum. If it were me, I'd quote $1500 for the mulch, delivered and installed. Or $75/yd, delivered an installed.

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I gave a estimate today for 10 yards of mulch installed, this included the full day it would take to clear all the weeds from the flower beds and the small trees that have grown in the last year or more that are in the beds. $1200 start to finish and the lady was floored! This was priced at $50 per hour to clear the beds and $77 per yard installed plus disposal of the debris. She has someone else mowing her lawn right now and I told her if I do the mulching that I'd prefer to mow as well and I would match his price of $30 per cut. I told her that when I get finished with the mulching, I wouldn't want someone blowing grass in the beds. The lady lost her husband 2 years ago and he use to do all the yard work. I just don't get it.

LOL, while I was typing this, I got a call for a estimate. Gotta run.... :)

7. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

never did it before?
    get some kid to help you.
    2 days +

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Well that went good, I got 2 more calls after I left and got them as well. :)