1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First year in bus. What mower, how big?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by advanced-prolawn, Mar 2, 2007.

1. advanced-prolawn

advanced-prolawn LawnSite Member

This will be my first full season in the lawn care business. I have read alot of forums on this site and are helpful, but there are so many options to weigh. This season I have 3 commercial accounts about 1 acre a piece. I also have about 5 residential accounts. most are less than 1/2 acre and some have gated back yards. I have been looking mostly at exmark and gravely ZTR's. they seem to be great machines. thought about wb's, but i think i want to stick with ZTR's. I want quality and quikness, but at the same time i am worried about getting through gates. With this kind of money i want the right equipment. Any professional help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Mow It All llc

Mow It All llc LawnSite Member

i wouldnt go ceazy right off the bat.....maybe buy a used 36" and 48 or 52" WB. You dont know what will happen, save some money and then go for something bigger. I have about 125 accounts 2 being Apartment Complex's, and 1 small strip mall, i use a 52" toro Z, a 48" Bobcat WB, a 36" Bobcat, and a 21" craftsman (small back yards) Just dont spend 10000 dollars until your in for a little while........Goodluck
  3. Dempsey7

Dempsey7 LawnSite Member

I'm just starting off on my own this year and I'm going with Toro's Z400 48". I figure most gates are a little bigger than that so I may be able to just squeeze in. Good luck.
  4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a gravely 260Z and I am realy impressed how they're built. It depends on howw much you can afford to spend and how big gates are in your area. Most of the on'es here are double so we don't normally have a problem. You might want to consider the 148 or 252 (demoed this one and really liked it.) Here's a link to a good mower on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Demonstrated-Ar...8QQihZ016QQcategoryZ50377QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Maybe get a regular 21" push mower for a few back yards.
  5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I started off with a 52" wb and didn't upgrade until I picked up much larger jobs that needed a ZTR
  6. Jake's Lawn Service

Jake's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Get yourself a exmark 48" walkbehind to start off. A metro would be a nice starter mower

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

thats one thing i cant stand is all the newbies going out buying ztrs for their main mowers. why not get a 52" or 60" walkbehind that way you can still cut the areas that a rider cant and you can still cut the areas a rider can . just my opinion
  8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I would skip the Z for now since you don't seem to have the accounts to justify the expense. I would suggest that you check out the new Toro WB they now have the Turbo Force decks on them and are built to take abuse and give an outstanding cut in all conditions. I think you would be better of with at least a 48" WB w/sulky, the size of the properties you have would be a perfect fit for a 48" or 52" WB and compared to a Z their half the cost.
  9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

yeh i agree, go with the walk behind, get the z later if you need it. toro makes a great walk behind, and its a very easy walk behind to run i might add. the t-bar is very simple and very efficent.
  10. advanced-prolawn

advanced-prolawn LawnSite Member

how much is a toro 48" w/b, and is it hydo. I am a heavier guy. I need some power.