First Year In Business

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by osmann_lawn, Oct 1, 2011.

1. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll email you when I get the chance. I would not recommend getting a ztr unless your accts are big and/or you have a lot of em.
    Two free lawns is a good ad campaign to try out and see what it gets you, being that its your company you can do w.e you want and see what yields the best result.
    In the state of MN the cost to register an LLC is $160.00 and that's all I paid. I was an accting major so I know a lot about taxes and accting practices which is why I registered on my own as well as obtaining a state tax ID and an EIN. My grandpa is a CPA and as of now he will be assisting me with my taxes come year end but I believe we will have quite a few disagreements over expenses and I will probably switch CPAs for 2012.
    There is little to no tax on the amt of money 8 accts brings in if your expenses outweigh your income (which in my case is happening, Im not making a profit yet as most new businesses start out). The tax I always collect is sales tax and obviously that is passed onto the customer, check with your state for what services are taxed and what aren't.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ZKSLAWN

ZKSLAWN LawnSite Senior Member

Biggest advice I can give is take your time. Ya there's always going to be those companies that have all the equipment you could ever need with tons of accounts and work but thats not you. Keep your equipment clean and maintained. Sharp blades and a clean deck will do wonders. I started with my families old jeep cherokee with a push behind in the back and a trimmer and blower on the roof rack, had 2 accounts that a buddy gave me when he left for school. Took about 9 months off to work construction and went back in with a pickup truck, the same trimmer and blower, and an old walk behind that sat in the woods behind my ex's for 5 years. that was about 3 years ago now and i'm at 25 accounts today. I have a new mower that I bartered off of a customer but still have the original walk behind. You don't need fancy equipment. just make sure its dependable. Take care of the customers lawn like its your own lawn but manage your time. You'll grow but slow and thats ok everyone did.

3. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

Sent you an email osmann
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. osmann_lawn

osmann_lawn LawnSite Senior Member

thanks guys for all the information, help and encouragement! I was told by a marketing wiz that i should change my website url to make it smaller. I guess people are lazy and dont want to type somthing so long in. My new email is ryan@osmannlawn.com web: www.osmannlawn.com

Thanks!

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, simple is good. I think you're pretending to be something/someone you're not though. It's a pretty big stretch to call yourself a full service landscaping company in my opinion.

Regarding your website:

"We are a new established business
    with the knowledge to do anything you ask of us. "

Do you mean newly established? This is such a contradiction...if you're new, where did you get all that knowledge?

Look, I've been at this for 10 years and still would not dare call myself a full service landscaping company. I think you're pretending to be something you're not. No I don't think, I know. The impression people would get from your marketing materials is different than the impression I get from seeing your posts and interacting with you here. Just way too much B.S. in my opinion. Can you install irrigation, landscape lighting, a waterfall with pond, a paver patio, do my fertilization and pest control, install an outdoor kitchen area with fireplace, a synthetic putting green? Can you even come up with a work plan and bid to do this stuff? You're not even a licensed business for for God's sake!!!! Jim Lewis operates a full service landscaping company....you do not!!!!!! You are not a full service landscaping company!!!!! You had to ask how to do a fall cleanup!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been trying to be supportive and helpful, but you're embellishing yourself and your business way way too much to the points it's deceptive and dishonest. Cut the B.S., stick to what you really know for now and put up some pictures of YOUR work on your website. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

6. osmann_lawn

yes i agree with you 100%. I am getting it corrected and taken off the marketing materials.

7. Darryl G

8. osmann_lawn

beautiful work. I completely agree with you on that! I am going to re do the website once i get some time (winter). Is the top of my postcard alright? or get rid of that as well?

9. TheBetterDoorhanger

TheBetterDoorhanger Sponsor

Hey Osmann - I wasn't sure if you have had the mailing set up yet but if you haven't I wanted to give you some information on our postcards real quick. Full color both sides, 9x6 - mailed to individual routes so you can select the higher income areas etc but still save on postage... $0.36 each if you do 1,500 or $0.298 each for 2,500. This price also includes our Stick-It® enhancement that allows the recipient to Stick-It to the fridge & keep it out of the drawer. The cost for 2,500 full color 4.25 x 11 Door Hangers with our Band-It feature are on special right now with free shipping -- $189

If you have any questions or need any additional info about our Stick-It or Band-It Door Hanger enhancements let me know.

www.AdeasPrinting.com/door-hangers
    www.AdeasPrinting.com/free-samples

Robin Christopherson
    Adeas Printing
    866-778-4254 ext 200
    robin@adeasprinting.com

10. Darryl G

In the mean time you'll continue to misrepresent yourself...nice. Good luck with your business...I have nothing more to say.