1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First Year In Business

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by osmann_lawn, Oct 1, 2011.

1. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

I don't put an address on any of my advertising.
    They can call me on the phone or email.
    Whats your reasoning on putting it on the advertising?
    Maybe I have some thing to learn.

If I send some one a bill that will have my address.

I'd put "lawn maintenance". "Lawn mowing services" sounds like you only mow, trim, blow and go.
  2. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a mailbox with the UPS store. 24 hr access for an extra fee and you have a real address.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. osmann_lawn

osmann_lawn LawnSite Senior Member

when do you guys start advertising for spring?
  4. osmann_lawn

You have to have a return address on postcards. I am doing 4x6 postcard it's the cheapest and you do not have to have a mailing permit. I think its .27 per card. I was talking to a guy from INFOusa.com (direct mailing list) he told me to just do it this way. It does not really matter how big the card is just has to catch there attention. he got me a mailing list for 5,000 homes for 250.00 with labels.
  5. Andy31

Andy31 LawnSite Member

Like JContracting already said. I would use a P.O. Box for your address, or a mail box at a UPS store.
    I use my P.O. Box for everything. Go to the Court House and register a DBA (doing Business as) in your Osmann... name and then go put that name on your P.O. Box and new bank account.
  6. stickleylawncare

stickleylawncare LawnSite Member

We have a dedicated home office and use that, a PO BOX is just one more monthly expense especially if you are small/part time. As for door hangers and postcards, I like to hit houses with both. I normally mail out postcards a bit before the growing season, then door hangers when the mowing season really gets going.. sorta a double whammy.
  7. osmann_lawn

I would rather have a PO box than my home address floating around. Can i get the PO Box first? i need to do that tomorrow morning so that my postcards can be printed. DO they need proof of business before you can get one?
  8. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Our family has a p.o. box. Anyone can get one. ours costs like $30 a year....80% of our mail goes there. Its priceless not to have a home address floating around. Plus we are in the country well off the road so anyone can grab stuff out of our home mail box (it happens!).
  9. Andy31

Andy31 LawnSite Member

You can go get a P.O. Box just in your personal name and then once you register a business name take that paperwork into the post office and ad that name to the your box as well.

Keep us posted on the response you get from your postcards.
  10. osmann_lawn

Okay, Thanks i will! I wont be sending them until spring. Decided since everything got so behind just wait til then. Get all the marketing materials now so nothing gets behind/last minute.