1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First Year In Business

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by osmann_lawn, Oct 1, 2011.

1. osmann_lawn

osmann_lawn LawnSite Senior Member

What do you look for in a used walkbehind mower under 1,000?
  2. mowing4rlife

mowing4rlife LawnSite Member

Have you put some ads together on photobucket.com yet, to put on craigslist.org? :)

Post a listing on craiglist now to try out some ads.
  3. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

I've tried that a few times in the area and didn't yield any results. Though I wasn't on top of it every week.
  4. mowing4rlife

Take a look at this thread that explains what i have used and how to make it work for you...
  5. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

I've made a actual flyer like the one you've shown. Still got nothing.
  6. mowing4rlife

Keep at it and people will start seeing your name and eventually you will get phone calls with leads that could become accounts...
  7. mowing4rlife

1,000hrs and under is pretty good for a walk behind. Just make sure its in good shape to mow and engine look like it has been services. You could ask for services record as well.

8. grasscommanders

grasscommanders LawnSite Member

Figured I would chime in as well. I been doing this part time with a friend for 3 years. Not a pro in the least but owe nothing on equipment and have grown each year. Nothing wrong at all starting with a lawn tractor. We started there With 1 account that was a total if about 15 acres. Took forever to mow but it was almost all profit aside from gas. Year two we borrowed to buy a zero turn, paid it off in 1 summer, did the same last year. If I was in your shoes I would pay off what you have and limp along until you save up to move to a commercial unit. That cub cadet will do you fine as a backup to a commercial unit. The difference isnt just speed, until you use a commercial unit you wont know how much better they truly cut. Go with a used unit, search and you will find. We have less than 6000 in the two we have, a 48" exmark and 52" toro and both have less than 600 hours on them. Building your business comes with time and is much smarter than trying to "look" Professional. With advertising your best bet is decide what market you want and focus on marketing to them. We only search for commercial properties because we does this part time after our "real" jobs so we dont have time to go to several locations. We dont do much advertising because we send directly to the businesses that we want. If you are wanting to go the flyer/postcard route then volume is your friend. Ask anyone in sales and they will tell you, the more you ask the more you will get a response from. In short my suggestions would be, build slowly, dont do long term debt(anything more than 1 year), find your target market, deliver the best service possible, and value yourself. Hope that helps.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. kmaghan

kmaghan LawnSite Member

thank god for uncles lol mine helped me to lol..
  10. nickpturner

nickpturner LawnSite Member

I had been doing mulching for a few years before I started mowing (hardly any start-up costs to mulch, just a couple wheelbarrows and hand-tools if you have the mulch delivered). This year I was in the same boat as you. I started mowing using my mom's JD 42" residential tractor mower. Super slow for residential and makes trimming a pain cause you can't get into close quarters very well. But the mower was free so I couldn't complain! Only had 4 clients. Just bought 7 more clients from a friend along with a used 48" ztr and the difference was phenomenal! I don't know how I ever used a tractor mower. I've actually enjoyed mowing these last couple weeks! In other words, ASAP, get yourself a used ztr! On another note, depending on the lawns you mow, sometimes a ztr isn't very advantageous over a tractor mower. If you aren't dealing with many obstacles or tight spaces, it may not be worth the investment. I have lots of small lots with trees and curving mulch beds, etc. I'm new to the business too, I'm just turning 20 and have only been landscaping since Spring 2010. The experience from everyone on these forums is the best resource I've come across in starting and building a landscape company.