First Year In Business

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by osmann_lawn, Oct 1, 2011.

1. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

5000???

Even if you get 1% return on your advertizement thats 50 new jobs.
    Are you ready for that?

Spot concentrated advertising in the areas you already work would be a better way to do it in my opinion.

2. osmann_lawn

osmann_lawn LawnSite Senior Member

LOL i didn't even buy my cub from home depot. I know how they treat there products! I got it from a local cub cadet dealer in my town. I think MTD makes the cub cadets. I am pretty good Mechanicly. My dad is a very good mechanic he use to own his own shop back in the day. so whenever i need help i go to him. Ya i like Exmark as well. No idea were a dealer is around me though.

3. osmann_lawn

Well i want to get going...If i really got that many calls i would at least be comfortable to get a ZTR or walk behind. As of right now it makes no sense for me to get one. I don't want to be in more debt than i already am!!! I doubt i would even get that many calls...even if they call it doesn't mean that your going to get them as a client. I live in a very small town but not far from the big city or surrounding towns.

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think anyone has put it this bluntly, but I think you have gotten off to a bad start already. You already have a loan on equipment that is not well suited for use in commercial lawn care. You're already at a disadvantage. This is going to affect your ability to grow and buy the equipment you should have in the first place. Sure your mower will cut grass, but it lacks the versatility, quality and longevity of a commercial unit. You would have been better off buying something like a used Exmark Metro 48 inch belt drive walk behind machine with a sulky, skipped the trailer entirely and just worked out of your truck to start with. Now you have overhead already and still don't have the ability to really knock lawns out quickly to rake in that cash needed to take it to the next level.

5. cle.lawn

cle.lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Dont do mailers. Door hangers are much better and cheaper.

6. cle.lawn

cle.lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Not sure if this was already mentioned, I am not reading thru 6 pages of posts.....Dont focus only on cutting. Spring clean ups, weeding, mulch, bush trimming......all this equipment can be purchased for less than $150 (shovel, rake, shears, wheel barrel, etc.) Dont focus on any one thing...you can do clean ups in late winter before the lawn even starts to grow. Come in cheap on your quotes to bring in some revenue, also gives you a chance to get face to face with people.

7. osmann_lawn

I have no problem with speed right now. I only have eight lawns & they are not that big. Trimming seems like it always takes forever. I don't think i am that bad of a start. It wasn't that big of a loan. Everyone has to start somewhere.

8. osmann_lawn

I did 4 mulching jobs this year that i did really well on. A lot of weeding as well. Used my lawn tractor to pull around a 17cu cart. It was a lot faster than using a wheelbarrow. I have seen a lot of stories on here that guys start out using a lawn tractor and now there business is picking up so they upgrade. ya i do a bunch of services website: www.osmannlandscapemgmt.com Its kind of a shity website but its better than nothing! Thanks i think i am going to get some door hangers made.

9. cle.lawn

cle.lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

No postage with door hangers. Big money saver.

10. osmann_lawn

Did you use door hangers what was your results?