First year mower selection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MR HYDROSEED, Apr 23, 2006.

MR HYDROSEED LawnSite Member

I need to buy a mower ASAP! I only have about 8 lawns so far. 2 are tiny, tiny and the others aren't even bigger than 1/2 acre. I looked at a 48" Toro belt drive walkbehind and hated it, or maybe i just feared it. It had to be shifted on the fly by reaching over the front of the mower. I looked at a 48" hydro lesco and it was better. What I'd really like to have is a ztr, but everyone tells me I don't want just a ztr. Why? I think they have much more control than a walkbehind. but what do i know? Can I successfully mow lawns with just a ztr? If I'm going to invest the money I'd rather get what I want and not what everyone wants me to get.
  2. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

You have 8 lawns, Why not start with a 21" or even a 36" hydro Toro?
  3. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

agree a good 21 or 36in would be good
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

i shift my eXmark with my knees and not on the fly, works great. but i agree with the 21" or 36" mower would be the best bet

MR HYDROSEED LawnSite Member

What are you people talking about? You expect me to mow 4 1/2acre lots with a friggen 21" mower. yeah, right! Just because I only have 8 lawns, doesn't mean I won't have 50 by the end of the season. Come on, do i sound like a neighborhood lawn boy? One of the reasons i want a big mower is for my 3/4 acre lawn, it takes me 2 hours with my 44" craftsman. Did I mention I plan on getting a new 20' Enclosed trailer for my 21" mower and my
    Ryobi multi purpose weed wacker/blower?:laugh:
  6. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want a good commercial walk-behind and don't want to spend alot go get the lesco. You don't need a ZTR until you know you will have the money to pay for and the jobs for it.
  7. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey hrdroseed (?),
    You had better change your attitude - SOON !!!!!

The pros on this - #1 - websight will terminally beat you to a pulp (cyberlly).

You ask a question - you'll get ALL kinds of views.:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
  8. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i have this crazy feeling that this person Hydroseed, is going to be selling his 20' enclosed trailer and ZTR. especially with an attitude like that. so... lets start the bidding now!
  9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

where in your original post does it mention anything about 4 1/2 acres???? i read that some are "tiny" up to 1/2 acre. if you want help from people, try not being nasty. :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
  10. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i bid $10.00...