First year mowing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ripple, Dec 7, 2005.

1. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

I have a Snow plow business for 4 seasons now and my customers have been asking bout lawn care. So this year I am going to start my own Landscape business. I have truck insurance for plowing...Gen Liability for plowing...
    Question is where to begin? DO I try to get customers before I buy equipment or should I just start out with a used old mower?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

If you get the customers and dont have the equipment, how are you going to service them?? If you have alot of snow contracts that are asking for lawn care also, ide go for it, then when you do this and get more lawn care contracts, they will ask for plowing too. It works both ways. I would start with a 36-48 inch WB used or new (whichever you can afford) a new commercial trimmer and blower.

WELCOME TO LS, very very good site!!

3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I would have to agree with MCWLandscaping. I think that you all ready would have a wealth of accounts right at your fingertips with your snow clients. I would contact them and let them know that you are expanding your business to include lawn service. Put out your feelers to see how many you can pick up from your current customer base. Then I would do like MCW suggested and get yourself some equipment. IMO, I don't think finding the customers is going to be the hold up As far as used or new that really depends on your budget. You can find some used good stuff out there. I would go with a 36" or 48" as well.

4. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I have a dealer near me that handles ECHO, Ariens and EXMark "z" machines. I think he pretty much handles the "commercial" crowd in my area!
    I am also thinking of doing mulch delivery/ spreading. Is there a good way to charge for mulching?...ie chargeing by the yard, by the man hour etc?

5. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Funny you ask that question. I just asked the same thing in another thread. If you look under "Just starting" forum and for the thread that I created you will see some good responses. In addition, I would like to add that I use a lot of echo and exmark stuff "luv it". Everyone has their preference, but IMO you can't go wrong.