First Year Setup for next year

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Gmwilkes, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Gmwilkes

Gmwilkes LawnSite Member
    from VA

So, I've been here for a short time, and been trying to decide what equipment to purchase to start out. I will have to finance most if not all of my equipment, and I think I've got it narrowed down finally.

First off, to carry everything, I'm planning on purchasing a 7x14 enclosed trailer. Reasons are the convenience of having everything loaded and not having to unload after working all day. I plan to purhcase a Gravely Pro Turn 152 as my main mower. I am also considering a walk behind, preferably used for a good price, as a backup and for those places the Gravely won't go. I am looking at The Kombi KM90R from Stihl and a Stihl BR600 blower. The Kombi will be primarily for trimming but may get attachments as needed such as the edger until I can purchase a dedicated edger. Also, I'll have a simple push mower as a last resort backup and a used trimmer that a family member will let me have as a backup trimmer.

Anything I'm forgetting that I havent thought of? For those wondering, most of my yards will be around an acre in the area I'm targeting, with some possibly larger. I figured the Gravely was the best overall fit for these yards.
    Any suggestions? As for now, I'm set on the Gravely as my mower choice, and I dont see that changing. The dealer in my city is not the most pleasant, but thankfully I found one in a nearby town that is a lot more friendly and so I'll be purchasing from them.

All purchases will be around March of 2015 just prior to season begins.

2. 1stevek

1stevek LawnSite Member

Don't forget hedge trimners

3. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

What sized yards are you going to mowing? Dont just buy a riding mower cause you see everyone else with one on their trailer
    In a city setting of less than 7 or 10 k yards, I'd go with 36 wall behind and 21 inch mower

For midrange mowers i ike stand on style which fit more compactly on trailer .
    Extended reach hedge trimmer, 2 weedeaters backpack blower.
    If your mechanically inclined, look at used equipment..lots of it on here in winter...many good deals to be had
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I just buy a good used walk behind to start out and forget all the financing.

Starting out you don't really know what mower you will need anyway.

5. Gmwilkes

Gmwilkes LawnSite Member
    from VA

I understand what you're saying, but for me to buy used, I'd have to still get a loan to cover the costs and the trailer. I figured with the financing over 4 yrs and 0% interest Id come out better and there's the warranty aspect of the mower. I don't mind working on my own equipment, that's not the problem, just up front costs. I figure in 2-3 seasons I can pay off all my financed equipment and then start building profit. yards can vary with some up to almost 2-3 acres in the neighborhoods I'll target with most being over an acre. These are not city yards, but large subdivisions in the county.

I must have misused my words, when I said trimmers i intended to say weedeaters. so i'll have 2 weedeaters, 1-2 21 inch mowers, and a large mower at the least as well as the backpack blower.

My time each week on these yards will be quite limited due to fulltime job (yes i plan to mow as a side business). I'm not getting a riding mower simply to fit in, but that I feel my time would be better spent with the riding mower cutting down on time to cut a yard. I understand a walk behind still cuts down on time, but the zt would be that much less time to cut.

6. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

its not called a weedeater, its called a trimmer:hammerhead:

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

string trimmer if you want to be precise, but people do understand the term weed eater.

8. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Think about a stander. If you don't have any money saved up to start a biz be very careful on getting loans. That's a lot of debt just to start. You dont want to be selling everything next summer. Where in va?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Gmwilkes

Gmwilkes LawnSite Member
    from VA

Lynchburg Area and surrounding counties. I had read on here enough to understand that trimmer is a more proper way of saying weedeater. But it is what it is. And the debt part of things does worry me, but my schedule allows me to do this if i prioritize my time, and balance my finances right, I should be good to go.

10. 2 Cycle

2 Cycle LawnSite Senior Member

It's not called a trimmer, it's called a strimmer :hammerhead:

;)