First year Turnover?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Two catagories here:

1)
    What was your customer turnover after your first year of business for ANY reason, and based on how many customers.

2)
    What was your turnover rate last year, if you have been in the business a while, and again, out of how many customers.

I am just trying to gather numbers on how many customers i can count on losing out of 50 for next year. I for the most part do a good job (as good as i can with a crappy Gravely 144z) and my prices are fair.

Trevor

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I can't remember the number of customers but I remember the customers after the first year of business was 0% and last year my turnover rate was 4%.

3. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

In the first year I had a total of 20 customers and I lost 4. The 20 percent rate is about average with each year. The problem with growth is that you are reaching out to so many households that you can't help but pick up more of the PITA customers. These are the ones that like to drop you for no reason at all. This year I have almost 80 customers but I have lost 10 already. I contribute this mostly to moves and money. I interview every lost customer to try to find ou why they have decided to end the servce. Generally speaking service is the last reason customers drop. So, each year I plan on a 20 percent turnover when building the upcoming years budget.

4. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Trevor, what is wrong with the Gravely to think it's crappy?

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been thinking about the same thing. I figure to lose around a fifth of my customers if only 'cause my rates are going to go up on several (I doubt they'll go for it) and two will go because they're just too far away to be worthwhile.

6. Trevors Lawn Care

I have posted on it several times. It is the most uneven terrible cut i have ever seen from any lawn mower. I consistantly have 2 terrible windrows/mowhawks, and it leaves missed blades of grass consistantly.

The sad thing is...I took it to the dealer and the mechanic looked it over and said NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH IT!...So the dealer takes it to his house to cut his grass, and he also says he sees nothing wrong with it...I know it is a lemon, because i got a used gravely WB and the thing cuts beautifully

I lost my first customer last week because of these exact problems. Also, got two complaints last week...for....you guessed it...the same problems.

Trevor

7. CamLand

I was thinking of getting a couple units but maybe not...

8. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

Trevor, I just sent you a private message.

9. Trevors Lawn Care

Camland....I will foreward you the PM i recieved, and answer all of his questions so you can get my perspective. i will reply you the PM after i get back from the boat.

Trevor

10. CamLand

sure i'd be interested...