first year

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by slammedeuro20, Mar 30, 2008.

1. slammedeuro20

slammedeuro20 LawnSite Member

so this is my first year in business and it seems to be a very slow start. no calls yet other then to fertilize but i did have a mailing out that is supposed to hit 20000 to 22000 homes. hope this brings me something or im in the wrong business.

2. LawnCare_EMT

LawnCare_EMT LawnSite Member

Congrats and best of luck.
    Who did your mail out if you dont mind me asking?? :)

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know about this being the wrong business but it is a very saturated market and this is probably the worst year to get into it. I hope things pick up for you but again this is not the best year to be starting out. Good Luck.

4. LawnCare_EMT

LawnCare_EMT LawnSite Member

I agree it is VERY saturated market this year. I dont know about yall's area, but mine is FULL of lowballers and they are making me have lots of grey hair. Best of luck again

5. slammedeuro20

i went through a company called j and m advertising. they made me a flyer thing and mailed them all out in a value pack coupon book. plus i have been flyering already. i know its my first year and will be slow but i hope on 20 to 25 accounts by fall

6. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

My question is "What would be the best year to get into this business?" Was it 1984, 1995, 2003,2010? You have to be conscious of the economy, but you cannot run your business directly off the economy. If you try to do this then you will never find a good year to start your business.

The midwest weather has been a little crazy this year, so after your direct mailings go out you will get calls. Good luck to you and do not get frustrated. Keep your long term goals in mind and do the little things to achieve those goals.

7. Icemanku

Icemanku LawnSite Member

What are you basing this on? I feel you would think every year would be a bad year to be getting into the business.

8. slammedeuro20

the lawn care business has been like this since i started working in it 10 years ago.

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

The reason this is not as good of a year as others is the fact that the economy is slowing down, people are losing their jobs and people who have money are hanging on to it for now. I'm not saying not to do it just that its not the best time given the circumstances. This is an election year and the economy is tight at best and if Dems get in office taxes are going to go through the roof and people are scared. Prices for lawn care are the lowest I've seen in 10yrs and everything else is going up at a record pace. I just don't think the money is going to be very good for someone just starting out but hey its up to you. Do what you want and good luck with your decision.

10. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Lawnpro: Man is there a dark cloud over your house or did someone screw you with an adjustable rate mortgage on your home too. At least try to be positive.