1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

first zt

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jga, Nov 27, 2001.

1. jga

jga LawnSite Member
    from iowa

looking to buy my first zt. I have about 1.5 acres to cut. commercial mowers are out of my $ range. my local dealer has a leftover Gravely zt2050 i can get for 4900. it's as heavy as some commercials, but with a B&S intek,and stamped deck. I rode it, and like it as much as the J.D. z-trak's i tried. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

For what your doing the Gravely would be great. Gravely has a good reputation for quality and they've been around since dirt.:) You will enjoy cutting that lawn with a good Z.
  3. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

At my local toro dealer they have homeowner z's for around 5000 might be worth checking into.
  4. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

you can get a new great dane for 5500.00
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The Gravely would do you well. The people at Gravely support their products and are active on this site. You won't go wrong.
  6. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I like the controls on the Gravely better. for home use the briggs
    should give good service, change the oil and filters should get 2500-3000 hrs.Ed.
  7. hertelbr

hertelbr LawnSite Member

Great Danes would make a great mower (own three of them but prefer Ransomes Bobcat) they don't take up much space. Any of the commercial mowers will last a homeowner a lifetime. I have not been impressed with John Deeres commercial line up. Not many of the professionals use them around my area. They make great garden tractors but fall short with the commercial equipment, just my 2 cents.

8. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I'd take a Gravely over a J/D any day.Just don't think jd mowers are worth the money, their tractors and heavy equip. are great.
  9. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I recommend a zero-turn hydro drive commercial mower. I recommend the Exmark, and Scag hydros because they are trusted brands. Say you need some exercise, you can walk behind it. One day your legs are kind of tired, there are many accesories such as sulkies that would be good to ride on. You could probably get a nice 61" w/b hydro with a 21 h.p Kawasaki for about $4700. then you could add whtever you want to it to make it the ultimate mowing machine. I would also agree with
    the Great Dane Super Surfer that strickdad and hertelbr suggested but they are a little out of your price range but they are wrth the money. It saves you a lot of time. I think you should demo a few zero-turn hydros before you make your desicion though. Anyway good luck!
  10. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

i dont know anything about how dependable this unit is, but dixon makes a zt that cost around 3,000. it has a 42" cut i think. the only mower brand we have bought in past 13 years is ransomes/bobcat, so im biased towards them.