1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First ZTR.. Kubota ZD-28 or Hustler super Z.. Help I need Advice.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by webdrifter, Jun 29, 2004.

1. webdrifter

webdrifter LawnSite Member

I've been mowing my lawn for the last two years with a 42" Cub cadet lawn tractor. I mow around 3 acres of mostly open, level to rolling land with the Cub, and I bush-hog an additional 5 acres with my tractor. The yard takes me around 3 1/2 hours each week, and it takes me around 4 to 5 hours once a month to bush-hog. The land that I bushhog is very clean, and would look beautiful mowed like a lawn. So I'm considering a ZTR to do all 8 acres with. I've checked on a new Hustler Super Z with the 27 hp Kohler, and 60" deck. I was quoted a cash price of $7900 plus tax. A man that I work with has decided to get out of the lawn business so He has offered to sell me his 2004 Kubota ZD-28 with 72" pro deck for $8000. I know he takes care of his equipment so I feel like it would be a safe deal. It has around 330 hours on it with some warranty left. After Taxes the Super Z would be around $700 higher than the Kubota. Would the used Kubota be the best deal or would the new Hustler with the full warranty be the way to go? You guys know your mowers so I look forward to any insight that you may have.
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I really like Hustler's, But, I'd get the Kabooty, IF you take care of it, It will probably last you a LLLOOOONNNGGG time just doing your house, and cost you a lot less in terms of fuel. Those things are like $12.5 I belive, if it's a clean, well kept, low hr machine, I'd snatch it up.
  3. webdrifter

webdrifter LawnSite Member

Thanks txlawnking thats 1 vote for the Kubota. I just wasn't sure how much having over 300 hours would affect the value of the Kubota. I failed to mention that there is a Hustler factory rep that lives about a mile from me. I'm going to call him to get more info on the Hustler mowers.
  4. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a Hustler owner and believe them to be great mowers. If you were going to use it commercially, the Hustler might be better because of lighter weight(less tire ruts), faster and more manuverable with the 60" deck, and more compact because of shorter wheel base. However with your 8 acres go with the Kubota with the wider cut, diesel for fuel efficiency and longevity. The price is a good deal too.
  5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is vote #2 for the Kubota.
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Guess this is my vote. Just rolled it onto the trailer about 3 hours ago. :D

kubota zd-28.jpg
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

OoooHHH, I've got machine envy!!! Nice mower!!!
  8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Go with the Kabota, you will be better off than with a Hustler.

9. CELS

CELS LawnSite Member
    from KY

I consider that to be a very good price, even with 300 hours. I would see if your friend would let you borrow the ZD before you purchase and see if it meets your expectations. I have no complaints with mine.
  10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

DAMN! That's a nice lookin' mower!

If my new Toro ever dies (ha, ha) and I get more into big mow only work I'll have a ZD28 with a 60'' deck. Over here they are 32K I think off memory....my new toro costed 24K, big difference, but I love the look of Kubotas.

Now I got Kubota envy again....bugger! :)

Nice choice, congrats!