1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fiscal Year?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cutman2000, Aug 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

What's everyone's fiscal year? I've decided Dec.31

2. Burnie

Burnie LawnSite Member

I decided June 30th for my business, that way I don't have to deal with both at the same time. BTW my business is a C corp.

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

For taxes ,it's still Jan 1st to Dec31st.

4. Burnie

Burnie LawnSite Member

Not if you are a C Corp, my taxes are figured from July 1 to June 30, and filed by September each year. If you are an S Corp, LLC, Partnership, etc. then it is Jan 1 to Dec 31 (I think) and filed by April each year. All depends on how you set it up to start with. I also don't file a 1040 for the business, I file an 1120. Best bet is to talk to an accountant IMHO

5. cutman2000

I didn't know that

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

True enough. Problem I get into is when some companies send out a 1099 and their annual and my annual do not match.

7. Burnie

Burnie LawnSite Member

I asked my accountant about that very thing, he said not to worry about it, it happens to a lot of companies, and the IRS knows it, so I don't worry about it. That is why I pay my accountant big bucks, so I don't have to worry about the tax stuff, I can just concentrate on my work.

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I pretty much do all my own accounting on Quickbooks now. I have used accountants in the past. After about 7 years I think I have it down pretty well.

9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Same here.

10. cutman2000

Are you saying everyone has the same fiscal year?