Fish in the skimmer....

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Evan528, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

:confused: Well I just spoke with a client who I installed a aquascape pond for several weeks ago. The fish were installed last weekend. The people informed that tonight when they went to clean out the skimmer there were 2 fish in it. How in the world do I keep the fish from swimming into the skimmer and dying? Last time I was thereI saw several fish swimming around the opening of the skimmer and figured it was just a matter of time before they decided to explore it. Can any body give me any tips? By the way....these fish were kois.

PS. Any info on Pond fish would be much apreciated! Should I put some gold fish in? Do they Interact ok with the Koi? I have suggested the clients turn off the pump when they feed the fish so that the food dosnt go straght to the skimmer.:confused:

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Just bringing this to the top hoping that someone can offer me advice.

3. aquascape

aquascape Member

Unfortunatly this is a slight problem with having a skimmer on a pond. This happens to Aquascape occasionaly also. Mainly what we tell our customers is that the fish will learn, but to check the skimmer for the first couple of days to see if any fish got in there.
    If it is a really big problem and the fish just are not learning, we have taken some screen and put it over the opening of the skimmer for a week or so. You have to be careful with this approach, as the screen will clog and prevent water from gettingto the pump.

As for the goldfish, they will interact fine with the koi. Don't worry about that. For feeding, tell the customers to not turn off the pump. Their cue to stop feeding is when some of it starts to get into the skimmer. Actually, they don't need to feed the fish anyway, but that is a whole different argument.

Hope this helps,

Conor
    www.aquascapedesigns.com

4. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

To keep the food from floating into the skimmer I cook it in water in the microwave for a few seconds. This makes it sink so it stays where I toss it. I have a shy fish that won't come to the surface to eat if people are standing around so this keeps the food in the pond. Also there should be enough water in the skimmer to keep the fish alive. They may be frightened, but they will learn to stay away from it.

5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

for small fish screen is a must !!