Fish Pond

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by weedmaster, Nov 3, 2003.

1. weedmaster

weedmaster LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any advice about spraying and fertilizing around a fish pond? Everything drains into the pond in the surrounding area and I am worried about killing his fish.

2. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

Check the label of course. Some of the older "yellow" dinitroaniline herbicides had a toxic warning for fish. Glyphosates are fairly safe when used properly. I believe "Rodeo" may even be labeled for such, but be sure and double check. If you are using reasonable rates, fertilizer should be no problem. Extension service used to even recommend pond fertilization here inTx. Heavy rains or low water levels can cause rapid oxygen depletion in a pond and cause fish kill. Overstocking can result in die-off also. Don't be in a position to catch the blame if something like that happens.

3. TOTALLAWN OF KY

TOTALLAWN OF KY LawnSite Member

rule of thumb always better safe than sorry ,, i stay 10ft away from ponds .drift will carry pesticides and you wont see them ,,pestasides most, hurt vertabretes so dont take a chance STAY AWAY AND DONT TREAT ON WINDY DAYS TRUST ME

4. I agree with TOTALLAWN OF KY. Avoid treating within 10' (or the minimum stated distance if the label gives one) of any waterfront. Don't gamble and you won't lose.

5. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

Caution is the key, but the fact of the matter is that 99% of pesticide water polution is due to runoff, not drift. EPA often refers to this as "non-point pollution". If you are applying in the watershed of a pond whether it be 10ft or 1000ft., a heavy rain is going to take some of the chemical into the pond (at least here in Texas,most pond's source of water is runoff). Chemical labels (hence EPA) recognize this happens and therefore give proper warnings knowing that some of this chemical could end up in a water source due to runoff. But I still maintain that your client needs to know that prior to something bad happening to his pond, that you applied materials according to label and his request. Many folks find it too easy to blame the applicator of pesticides when there are other things going on in mother nature that can cause fish kill.

6. lawnboyil

lawnboyil LawnSite Member

fert work just as well on the grass and it does for algae, summer of spraying algae every 2 weeks told me that one

alex