Fish Ponds and rain

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by cindyb, Jun 27, 2012.

1. cindyb

cindyb LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Sounds incredible!!

I didn't have a UV on the first pond but my koi are huge so I'll take any help I can get with extra nutrients (ducks).

Some people freak when a frog or toad gets in their pond. A koi with a healthy immunity can fight off a couple parasites like flukes. I have the microscope handy just in case. I've only had one snake. Don't mind them till I bend over and find it as a surprise.

What do you do for shade? I'm considering a shade sail, the koi destroy the water hyacinth.

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

About 50% of the stream is in constant shade. At any given time of day, about 30% of the pond is shaded by surrounding trees. Water temps may rise as high as the low 80's, but no higher.

If you are not overly concerned with looks, 50% shade nursery cloth is ideal. That is what I originally used before the landscaping got large enough to provide the shade required.

3. cindyb

cindyb LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Thats what I usually do, kinda a lean with pvc on half the net so the air can flow thru. I don't like the looks of the nets but we have heron. My friend in Ponte vedra has gators and heron so I guess I can't complain.