fisher 9 ft HD vs MC

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by steveair, Mar 30, 2000.

1. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,<p>Just a quick question on something I was curious about. <p>We bought a 99 chevy 350 dump with 6.5 turbo diesel and at first, went with the fisher 9 ft. MC. <p>When we got the truck back from the plow shop, we got real nervous. The plow was a monster, and the truck looked like it was about ready to tip head over heals when we raised it. <p>When we ordered the plow, the installer said himself that the plow was pushing our trucks limits, but that it would be able to handle it. He said that if we were to do a lot of road driving, from site to site with it raised, it would definitely cause a problem sooner or later. Since we only plow our airfield and complex road/lots ,the plow is basically dropped 95% of the time, so we thought it would work. As soon as we got the truck back and saw it, we shook our heads and took it right back.<p>We now have the 9 ft. HD, which made us much happier. The MC almost made the truck look like a dual use plow truck/milling machine.<p>My question is were we right in trading it back in? Having used the truck to plow the airfield, we kind of wish we had that heavier plow now. This one, especially when the snow get slushy, likes to skate across at higher speeds, which we have to maintain in order to keep formation with larger trucks in front and behind it.<p>Any comments greatly appreciated, as it is a subject that has been bothering me for sometime now. <p>steveair<p>PS - just for the record, I wanted a new ford 350 instead but our mechanics a chevy man along with the rest of our small trucks, so I kept my mouth shut. The ford looks like it could of handled it. <p>

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Ok here is the deal on 9 ft MC. From what i hear it's for the F 450 and 550, untill Dodge and Chevy produce something to take the front end weight. <p>Just look at the weight 9' MC 925 LBS the 9MC 1690, and the 10 MC what i have on my F 650 is 1790. There is a big difference between the MC and the 9 HD.<p>If i buy another F 450 or 550, it will have the 9' MC plow. The MC incorporates the deeper curve of the 10' blade and is built tough. Yes, i know it's hard to believe but i will buy a Fisher that isn't a 10' blade or a V-plow.<p>I currently have a 550 with a standard 9' Diamond blade. The blade is fine the truck is fine. The only thing i don't like with the Diamond, is the 9' MC has a higher moldboard than the 9' Diamond. With a 450 and 550 i want the higher moldboard. The Diamond works fine, just the truck has the power to use a higher moldboard so why not use it?<p>Steve i think you made the right decision buy useing a 9 HD. Useing the 9' MC on a 1 ton ( any brand Ford, Chevy or Dodge) is too much weight on the truck. I know my 550 could take a 10' blade, but it isn't offered by fisher because it's too much. Don't forget i had an 88 GMC 1500 4X4 auto 4.3 V6 and a 9' fisher back in the day.<p>Geoff<p>

3. steveair

Hey Geoff,<p>I agree 100% with you on the moldboard height. We have the snow foil and rubber on the front or the HD and still get a tremedous amount of overspray, especially when doing those high speed, long runs. For most guys, i could see the HD being fine, but for deep or special aps like we have and you have, that moldboard height is real important. <p>The MC is one heavy duty plow, thats for sure. I remember seeing the I beams on the frame and they were like twice the size of the ones on the HD we have now.<p>If I could turn back time, I would definetly push for a 550 instead so we could run that plow. But, so be it I guess. <p>Wish I found this forum earlier:)<p>Thanks, <br>steveair

4. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

I don't know how much moldboard hight would help on overspray. I think it is more depends more on the curve of the blade. Our 9' diamond with rubber over the top, has almost no runs. Only our speed is never over 25 MPH and runs are not as long as an airport runway.<p>By the way, i hate snowfoils they don't help at all when stacking, they actually make stacking worse. In my mind, the best way to go with any plow, is an 12-18&quot; peice or rubber bolted over the top.<p>Geoff

5. steveair

Right back to you tonight,<p>The foil does make it difficult for stacking. I think we have to rebolt on the other two foils that we have on 2 other 8 ft fishers about twice a season, thats if they don'd need some welding first from getting cracked. A kind of stupid design, because the snow just pushes it up and off when stacking.<p>Maybe I should call fisher with my idea. I thought about some sort of spring system so that the foil would bouce up and then back down without either popping bolts or bending. Kind of like a trip edge for the foil. Also would need a rubber flap so that snow wouldn't go in and stop it from returning. Maybe just mounting the foil to a good strip of rubber and then to the plow would work too. As long as it would have play in it. <p>Say, I just thought of another question on a matter that hasn't made much sense. When we bought the fisher, our dealer said to run the plow with out a cutting edge to &quot;wear it in&quot;. Is this true? We did this for about 3 storms, but I myself can't make head or tails as to why. I've read in past discussions that you have to be careful wearing edges to far down because you could ruin the trip mechanism, which is obvious when looking at it. If this is the case, why would they want us to do this? <p>steveair

6. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

I would never run a plow with out a cutting edge, when i buy a plow it doesn't come home with out one. How would wearing out the trip edge be any good for the plow? Ask the fisher dealer why you would want to wear it in. <p>Ok i know people aren't going to like what i say. Steve maybe try a Diamond for the next plow, or at look at one. This way you won't need a foil, just a rubber deflector. This way you can keep your speed up, and still stack snow. I used to have some fisher snow foils, they break or loosen up all the time, and the biggest problem i had is you can't get any tall snow piles. Also one drive told me that as the snow built up between the foil and the trip edge, the trip edge would trip on it's own, but i think he was too tired, but he kept saying it happened. Buy the way Diamond is rated to plow at 20 MPH.<p>Geoff

7. tru cut

tru cut LawnSite Member

When i went to concord last week a company called henderson manufacturing had a ford 550 4wd all set up w/their 9 ft mid size plow looks like a real nice set up on the back thay had thier muni dump with bilt in convayer front and rear spinners.the plow has a 34&quot;hight add.ange of attack,add.trip spings,add lots of other goodies.my dream truck!!on idea what it would cost??check out the web site www.henderson-mfg.com<p>ps thay dont shhow or list the 9ft and the hight of all the mids is34&quot;<p>----------<br>Todd <br>

8. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Ok here is some answers for you. <br>First the fisher dealer never should have sold you the MC plow to begin with. You definatly did the right thing going to the HD instead. Next for the spray over you can attach a rubber flap to the foil, or get rid of it and just run the flap. I have used conveyor rubber for flaps and it works great.<br>Next the fisher is lousy at slushing because of the forward slant of the trip edge/cutting edge. See related thread for this reason. Next try a urethane edge to help alleviate that problem.<br>Also fisher reasoning is that you need to wear the edge up about 2&quot; then bolt on a wear bar edge. They want you to do that because with the trip edge worn up,this allows the replaceable edge to hang below the trip edge, giving it some bite. I have plowed with fisher and they slush terrible, thus that is why I now use a plow with less of a cutting edge angle(ie meyer and western).<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

9. steveair

Thanks plow<p>I read the previous post about slushing right after I posted my initial one.... should of looked I guess, thanks for re-informing me.<p>As for that wearing down of the edge, that makes complete sense. My only question is why do they sell them like that if they have to be worn down. Typical I guess.<p>2 inches? Is that right. Sounds like a lot of wearing down, but I'll take your word for it if its right. I don't think were even at a inch yet, so i guess we have a way to go. I'll have to look tomorrow to make sure. If its two inches, it seems like we could go another 3 or more storms at least.<p>The rubbler flap idea sounds good. I think the main problem we have is with speed. Most our plows are a min. 3 ft heigt on the big trucks, so at the high speeds we run, probably nothing will really help that smaller plow. <p>Scrapping those foils and going with larger flaps on the plows sounds like a good way to go. Would save us the work of fixing them foils all the time. <p>As for the urethane, looking into it. Still have some issues with wear, but I'm open to trying anything that would improve on what we have. Nothing lost in trying it once. <p>Thanks again<br>steveair <p><br>

10. steveair

Looked at the plow today and compared to some of our older ones. Looks like we could wear it down at least another inch. <p>One thing I that concerns me about this though is running the plow with no edge. <br>We have one manhole on the airfield and a few more on the roads that always sneak up on people, or frost heve more every year. The new fisher already has a good bite out of the center of it on the trip edge with no blade, so this concerns me. Looks like we could bend, bang up that edge bad and not be able to get a blade on there if we were not careful. Maybe we won't wear it down quite that much to prevent any future problems.<p>Another quesion is with what controls you use with the fisher's. We had the joystick box, but now have the hand held that looks like a F-15 fighter joystick or something. <br>We love it. On the chevy automatics, we mounted it right above the cargo lamp switch on the dash in that empty spot and works great. You can keep your right hand on the shifter and push the buttons all at one time (most at least). The shifter also makes a nice armrest for controlling the plow on longer runs (I will say I have downshifted a couple times by accident this way though) <p>Its also great with the stick in the 99 350 because you can hold it and the shifter in one hand. We thought about cutting it up and mounting it right on top of the Shifter knob, but felt bad about hacking into that nice new contoller. <p>Anyone else out there have any other unique control setups that they use with the fishers. I think the idea of integrating it into the shifter is a great idea. Maybe they'll come out with something like that soon (if they haven't already?)<p><p><br>