Fisher is better than Western, have proof!!

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by JohnnyZ71, Feb 12, 2001.

1. JohnnyZ71

JohnnyZ71 LawnSite Member

Last Thursday we got about 4 inches of snow, then it warmed up and made a big wet heavy mess. It was going to get to 60 degrees the next day (Rochester, NY weather, go figure, 20 degrees in the morning, 60 in the afternoon), so I wasn't worried about plowing, because the rain was washing away the snow. I received three phone calls from people, so my truck was in the shop (2000 Z71 with 7 1/2 Fisher), I borrowed my buddies 2001 2500 Dodge Ram with V10 and 8' Western. Both these plows are brand new. The Western does angle faster but only by a second or two. But man, that wet heavy snow caused that stupid to keep tripping on peferctly flat surfaces, and it wouldn't stack the heavy stuff. I would have to push into a pile, then back up about 6 icnhes, lift the blade higher then stack it up. I have done snowstorms with wet snow with this fisher before and a lot more of just the regular powder stuff. Personally, Fishers are the best, I have put them to the test. And Believe me, I am a wacko with plowing. :)
  2. finnegan

finnegan LawnSite Member

oh yeah,well my trucks bigger and badder than your truck! in all seriousness all you're doing with that post is aggravating everyone else and asking people to slam you and fisher,this forum is here to help those who seek it,c'mon where all adults here,pretty soon this will turn into a meyer bashing post if enough people read it...
  3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

You have to consider the trucks that the plows are on as well. The angle the Western is at on your buddy's Ram may be a little too sharp, which will cause the blade to trip more, and not stack very well. My neighbor has been using Western plows for years now, and he hasn't said one bad thing about them.

Could it be operator error??? (just giving you a hard time)

4. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Z71 has brought up a good point. TRIP EDGE! Keep that snow in front of you. My biggest complaint about Fisher is that I don't have a dealer closer than 2 hours away. Western dealer is in my backyard. I do love that Fisher plow though :).
  5. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

This is a very subjective topic; It involves a lot of factors; only using the plow in one condition, only using it once, different truck than you are used to driving. Just too many things to be fair.

As I have been searching for a plow for my new truck I have learned a lot by not even leaving the house and looking at one. Dealer: location, reputation and lines carried. BIG FACTOR; Fisher could be the best plow in the world but if I can't get support for one than what good is it to me? I am running into this evaluating the Blizzard; Tech. it looks good, concept is great, move more snow, bigger V configuration to move snow where I want it but... No dealers close, only been out a short time (4 seasons or so)... Could it be the best plow out there? Maybe? Am I going to buy one... I don't know... Other factors against it.

my 0.3cents
  6. waterchikn

waterchikn LawnSite Member

Meyer. I have a Meyer. But I have a welder too.
    heehhe. And I agree, every truck is different with same plow. And I agree again, this might turn into a meyer bashing post...another one. But I still love my meyer.