Fisher Minimount Stoppers

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by slplow, Feb 10, 2001.

1. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering if any of you guys with these mounters take off the stoppers off the head gears. Reason being, my new minimount will not stack snow any higher than the hood of my truck. My older Fisher, Boss and Western plows stack way higher. Right now the plow at full height only goes 13". Do they put stoppers on so that when the plows jump going down the road it won't break the head gear or something else on the frame?

2. 66Construction

66Construction LawnSite Member

Make sure the lift chain is adjusted right. If you have a lot of the ram exposed when the plow is down then it wont lift as high. I have a 71/2' minute mount it stacks about 6' high if not more depending on how much I beat the truck up. Once you get a stack going the plow will actualy ride up it higher then the ram lifts it anyway.

3. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful when adjusting that lift chain and where it hits the stops. I have the same problem in that the plow only lifts sooo high due to those stops. Your lift ram should reach the top of its height before it hits these stops. If it doesnt, you'll break the bottom lug right off your plow pump because the ram is going to keep trying to raising that plow blade but the stops wont budge. Something has to give and its the lug by design. Learned this from experience.

To try to gain a little height (I mean veryyyy little) check to see which holes on the a-frame the chain is mounted to. If the chain is in the front holes closest the plow, moving them back to the second set closer to the truck. This will help lift the plow a little higher.

Have never thought my fisher was a great stacker but by far better in every way then the other meyers plows I use. NOT buying these six to 25 foot stacking stories for a minute. Trucks are for plowing, loaders are for stacking. Right tool for the job does it best everytime.

CMerLand

4. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with 66. Make some chain adjustments. My minute mount & some subs I've used with them stack much better than the Western & Meyers we are also using. As a matter of fact I was just looking at it the other day because I thought maybe the stops had broken. I couldn't believe how high off the ground the plow was. I guess I never really looked at it all the way up from outside of the truck. Surprised me.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't notice this on the Fisher, mine seem to stack fine. I did however cut the stops off of my friends Meyer. The stops on the tube lift frame limited him. I advised against it but he wanted the off. It does stack higher but I wonder if it is putting stress on other components.

6. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Kinda makes you wonder...

I don't think they put those stops there just to add some more time to the manufacturing process.

7. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder if he will still be your friend after he damages his truck or plow!
    John you are right the manufactor must of had extra metal lying around the shop and it wasn't quitting time yet.
    Remember don't send a pickup to do a Loaders job.

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

That was what I told him. It is there for a reason. He wanted it off. Hey when he breaks something and then I have to weld it in the middle of a storm that is more money for me. I gave hime plenty of warning.

9. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Well shame on him then CT18fireman.His unfortune will be your fortune :D

10. wyldman

wyldman LawnSite Member

Once you get the plow adjusted right,try working on the technique.You can stack pretty high with any truckplow if it is done right.If you have a lot of snow to stack,lift the blade a few seconds earlier,and build a little snow ramp to get it higher.I had plowed for years,but when i made the switch to bigger trucks and electric driven hydros,i had to change my technique a little.Some times were just so h*ll bent to get the job done we tend to rush and overlook proper technique.I have found this with some subs we have hired.Takes them twice as long to do the lot,yet it looks as if they are plowing faster.Meanwhile they are just beating up their truckplow,burning more fuel,and wasting time.