1. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

The fisher /western v plow is great. With the split trip design the individual sides of the plow will trip leaving the other side plowing witj out tripping. It is great it you make slight contact with a curb, or other obstacle.The hydrualic system is flawless, and fast. Once you get used to the controller it will save you alot of time.<br>As far as plowing with it, I will never have another straight blade agian. I save 25-50% plowing time depending what lot I am in. The scoop position is what does it, although if you have a heavy snowfall the v will break it right open.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Dino you starting to sound like Bryan did ya just have your 16th birthday? Just Kidding.<p>Anyways I have two Fisher V plows and they are great. Just make sure you buy the cutting edge for them, i know someone who did and had major problems. My V-Plows don't use the V setting very much, the mostly use the scoop and regular blade settings. They work best on small parking lots, where you have to move the snow around. <p>My Diamond dealer said there is a rumor the Diamond may build a V-Plow for Meyer and Diamond. Just like Western and Fisher do, just change the mounting a little and change the name on the blade. Anyways if Diamond dose build a V-Plow it will have a trip edge. Diamond used to build a V-Plow before they were bought out by Meyer. The Production of the V-Plow stopped in 1995 when the Pull A Way system was introduced. Anyways if Diamnond build a V-Plow on the Pull a way system with a trip edge i will buy it. <p>My question to anyone who has a Meyer V-Plow what power pack runs the plow? I have yet to see a Meyer V-Plow and my other question is can it work like a regular plow, and a v-plow?<p>Geoff

3. nsmilligan

nsmilligan LawnSite Member

On my 3rd season with a Fisher EZ-V. Had some problems the frist few storms, Nov 97.<br>Broke the A frame, and had a problem with the plow hanging up on the head gear! Fisher was great they sent some factory people up and replaced the A frame etc with updated parts. I had an on going problem with the 1 in angle cylinder pins bending, if your breaking the front rt angle hydraulic fitting on the angle cylinder, check your pins! I think the cylinders go over center at full angle or in a V and the loading goes through the roof. I modified my plow by installing Chev front suspension stops on by A frame to cushion the wings, haven't bent one since. Also have you had a problem with one side of mold board tripping and not returning? I've had this problem especially in heavy snow. I made 4 ,1/2 in spacers from an old cutting edge and installed them on the spring units, it's made a big difference. Also I've found the Meyers fluid to be the best, the Fisher fluid is designed to work in high underhood temperatures, and has a higer viscosity, so it's slower. Dextron feels like molasses compared to these fluids though.<br>Bill<br>PS Having plowed for the last 16 years, I think the V plow is the greatest thing since bread!

4. Stephen

Stephen LawnSite Member

although i am not a fan of myers plows, i have a myers v-plow on my new chevy since the fisher is on backorder, but i will switch when it comes in for 2 reasons<br>1- when i have the light setup on, i cannot use my regular truck lights because all they do is shine on the back of the plow lights in both high and low beams.<br>2- i have not been able to test it in snow yet since we have none, but u cannot move the myers blade in one piece to angle left and right like u can the fisher. if u want to angle the whole plow left u must use 2 switches and angle one half at a time left. i feel this to be a serious pain, just from bringing the plow home and driving down the road with it - it takes a sec to reangle everything just to go over a simple speed bump or come out of a low driveway<p>----------<br>Stephen<br>

5. plowking35

from S.E. CT

The meyer set up will work with both the e47 and e 60 pumps. The design is similar to the boss design with the angle cyl, moving the blades forward and horizontal mounted trip springs to pull the blade back.<br>I personally have the western v plow. It has been great. I had a problem with the left wing, the botom hinge point splayed out. Western replaced the wing. I also broke an angle/return cylinder. I was backing up in the scoop positiona and caught a curb with the outside edge of the plow. It pulled it forward pretty hard and broke the retention clip that they have on the end of the cylinder. But that was operator error. I plowed the rest of the storm but I had to put a strap on the wing so the fluid wouldnt push the cylinder out of the bore. I also used about 1 gal of fluid.<br>The western comes with a cutting edge, and I was able to only get 4 storms out of it, I will be replacing this one with a urethane edge.<br>As far a jamming up in the trip edge area, nver had a problem with the v plow, but my 9' straight would trip on gravel and end up with a stone between the edge and the moldboard.I woull then find a curb to retrip it and take the stone out.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

The Only way i could see a v-plow to work well is use double acting cylinders. This is what Fisher and Western use, i still don't get how the meyer plow can use a 3 stage pump like that, fisher and western use a 5 stage pump. Infact if you look at the pump they use on the streight blades this year, you will see it is the same pump the v-plow has always used just doesn't have the connections for the extra hoses.<p>Geoff

7. nsmilligan

Just an after thought to plowkings post. when one side trips it raises ther whole plow, depending on the height of your cutting edge (I use a 1/2 x 8 grader cutting edge trimmed to 7 in, I don't use shoes except on gravel) if the cutting edges are new the untripped side leaves an inch or so of snow, and that's my biggest complaint, the tripped edge will stay tripped, until you backup.<br>Bill

8. plowking35

from S.E. CT

Well the situation you describe usually only will happen on gravel, and if I leave an inch of snow on gravel no big deal. You can either raise the plow and then drop it right back or throw it in Nuetural and let off the brake , and that usually will un trip the edge. <br>Most other times when I trip the edge it is usually on a curb top, and spill is not an issue.However if you trip the edge far enough that side will drop down to the same level as the un tripped side.<br>At any rate I would rather have the trip edge design on a v plow than a full trip design that wont work in the scoop position since I do 75% of my plowing in that configuration.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org<br>

9. nsmilligan

I agree, but if the edge is tripped it increases the loading on the plow, I have had dents from the square spring bottoms in my mine. Have you had aproblem with bent pins , my dealer tells me Fisher is aware of the promble?

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

It sounds to me that you guys are plowing gravel without the shoes. Set the shoes 1/2 inch and there should be no problem on gravel drives.<p>Bill