Fist Fight with Employee

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I caught an employee stealing a trimmer at the end of the day and confronted him about it, and he decides to push me hard. I followed with a fist to his face, broke his glasses and blood was everywhere from smashing his face. He then proceeded to knock me to the ground, and I managed to push him away from me. The guy was obviously coming at me, and I had the natural reaction of punching him in the face. I guess it's self defense, he came at me first when I confronted him about the trimmer. He gave the trimmer back and left, and I didn't call the police. I probably didn't handle the situation the best way, but I don't know what else I would have done. He messed up, but he's been a good friend for about a year as well, so I didn't want to get him in too much trouble. He was my only employee at this time also. Last year I had a guy working for me and I fired him for smoking weed on the job and a week later he beat me down and got me pretty good. He also got a year in jail for assault and isn't out YET. I think I need to stay solo... I'm at the point now where I can work 6 days solo and get things done the way I need to and work my other job at the same time. Its now 3am and I just got off my other job, and my fist is still swollen pretty bad. I hope I can operate the walk-behinds later with my busted hand. This is one of many things, and with all this drama in my life I could probably make it on Jerry Springer. geez.

2. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

I think solo might be the best way for you. Hard to tell exactly whats happening, but, you are 2 for 2 fighting with employees so the odds are it would happen again. Good luck!
    PS: I would have been pissed too if the guy was stealing from me. The weed is definatly wrong if the guy was running your equipment.

3. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

it's sounds like you need to find better friends / employees.keep trying to find a good one . i hope you feel better

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

That could have been me. I tend to confront people in a way that puts them in a corner, I'm aware of it and trying to be more rational. I think part of my problem is my type A personality. I don't know all of the facts in your situation but, from what you said I think you put them in a corner.
    When I was an exterminator, I learned not to corner a rat. They will come at you and they can jump 3 feet high and 3 feet forward. That puts them right at the crotch. Hope all works out for you.

5. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear dude. I have a guy who gets "smoked up" every once and a while, ( I DON"T!) and as long as he doesn't bring it to work or is high at work, It doesn't really bother me. Actually he's not doing it as much anymore either. ( He's starting to realize how much $$ is wasted) Fist fights and drugs aren't good. Sounds like you either need to stay solo or get a high school kid for the summer. Good luck!

6. surfisher211

surfisher211 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I think u handled it OK ! he is stealing your stuff then do what u have too thats your bread and butter and food in your kids mouth ! if i caught some one stealing my stuff i think i would lose it and break there arms! good luck

7. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I like Teddy Roosevelt's Big Stick Diplomacy. He said "Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far."

I haven't had a fight since I was 20. I've learned how to confront people in a way that let's them know that I'm not looking for trouble, but I'm not someone they want to tangle with.

I even worked for a couple of years as a bouncer in a college town and a couple of years as a bartender at a hole in the wall redneck rancher bar, with not one fight. There were more than a few times that I had to break up fights and there were more then a few times that I had to physically move people out the door, but no fights.

You don't want to corner people when you confront them. You want to give them a way out and let them know that the way out that you are giving them is FAR more desirable than the alternative.

8. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

He just gave me a call and left a message, he's still in the hospital with a concussion. He said I "over-stepped my boundaries" with him. He stole from me and pushed me, simple as that. I even have a witness (a customer, how great!) My fist is still swollen quite a bit. What should I do, keep pressure on it? Ice doesn't seem to be helping much. I don't like hospitals.

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I would have followed up with a police report just to cover your behind. You have a witness but you should get it documented asap. If the goof presses charges on you or trys to recover hospital costs or worse yet comes back after you at a later date, you have it documented with the people that can help you.
    From the way you put it, it sounded like self defense to me. The witness really is a plus for you. You have to protect yourself. Don't feel bad about going to the police, it wasn't a thought until he stole from you then assaulted you. He made the choice, protect yourself.

10. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

In all the years i was in business,never had an employee attack me .Had a few steal things and get caught but they didnt try anything physical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.