Fisticuffs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southside, Apr 28, 2000.

1. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Ever come to blows with client,worker or<br>opposition? Closest I ever came was with my<br>biggest mowing client,we disagreed over <br>something or other and ended up screaming in <br>each others face with me trying to throttle<br>him. Funny enough we get along great now and<br>they spend a lot of money with me.A friend of<br>mine (another slasher) beat the **** out of one of his workers when he deliberately cut<br>a radiator hose on a tractor to avoid doing <br>any more work.As a consequence my friend<br>had to pay 10k to rebuild the motor.<br>I know this is a little off topic but I think<br>it's good to get away from the &quot;which is<br>better Toro or Lazer &quot; type of topic every<br>now and then. :)<p>Karl<br>

2. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

I AM ASHAMED TO SAY I HAVE GOTTEN INTO IT WITH AN EMPLOYEE.THE DUMMY DISRESPECTED MY WIFE,AND THEN WHEN I CONFRONTED HIM HE DID'NT HAVE THE BALLS TO APOLOGIZE!I ENDED UP IN JAIL FACING 2 LIFE SENTENCES,THANK GOD I ONLY ENDED UP PAYING FOR HIS TEETH.HE GRACEFULLY DROPPED THE CHARGES,AND MOVED AWAY THE NEXT DAY.

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I have one customer, 93 years old, 5-3 maybe 100 lbs, at least once a month tells me, &quot;If I was your age Id lay you out cold just to show you I could do it!&quot; I usually laugh it off, the last time he said that I replied, How the heck did you live this long with that attitude, his reply, &quot;My brother was always sitting a few barstools away just in case!&quot;<p>To answer the question, no, Im usually pretty mellow, besides Im big enough that not many would dare to pi$$ me off. <p>Bill

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Depending on where I am at. I am usually packing heat hehe. I don't think people mess with lawn service business that much. Guess they figure we have to be bad asses and in shape to do this type of work. Anyway i havent had any problems.

5. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I arm wrestled a dude who dug ditches, by hand. He beat me as easily as I can beat my grandma.<p>I dont mess with Hockey players or ditch diggers.

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

this is not the kind of thing I am proud of (generally speaking).<p>cutting a hotel property for some Indian folks (of the subcontinent of Asia variety)and the guy nitpicked my work everytime I was there. this was after he added work outside of our agreement. I had becomed accustomed to things like this everytime I cut.<p>one day this guy was wearing me out checking my work pulling up individual blades of grass that hadn't been cut as though I meant to leave them on purpose (usually where the front wheel mashed a little grass down). never could he find more than a square inch of grass that hadn't been cut.<p>well, I lost my temper and told him to &quot;just pay me what it's worth&quot;. if he'd said &quot;it aint worth nothing&quot; then I'd have loaded and been gone.<p>instead, raji kept on pulling up three or four blades of grass at a time and complaining.<p>when I snapped, I told him to step out on the street and what would happen when he did. well, he wouldn't do it which was the best choice for both of us. the story really is funnier than I can relate here.<p>let's all tell one on ourselves.<p>GEO

7. Gus

Gus LawnSite Member

I was doing a leaf clean-up last year as a favor to friend. I had never been to this house before and the one neighbor comes out and starts screaming &quot;why do you always throw sticks on my lawn?&quot; . I had a backpack on at the time and told the guy I didnt know what he was talking about and turned around and continued blowing out some beds. The next thing I know this guy is in front of me waving a stick. I throttled down the blower and told him if I had to take it off my back<br>his doctor would be pulling that stick out of his ass. He then turned around and headed for his house. I figured I was done with this brain surgeon and went to the trailer to grab a drink of water. Sure as hell here`s<br>numb nuts running right at me screaming he`s gonna kick my ass. Picture a little guy in my<br>face screaming about sticks & calling me every name in the book. The whole scene was actually quite comical but this guy just wouldn`t give up.His last mistake for the day was when he took a swing at me. I dropped this dummy right in his tracks on the berm of the job I was working on. Finished up what I was doing and left him there out cold....never heard another thing,and my friend was happy with the clean-up. It amazes how verbally abusive people can be to total strangers trying to get a job done!!!!!