Fit a standard 48" or 52" ZTR in 3 foot gate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RoyalZ, Mar 14, 2005.

1. RoyalZ

RoyalZ LawnSite Member

I have been shopping for a ZTR recently and have had to limit my choice to a 42 inch deck because of the maximum width of most of my gates are 42" exactly. So my new idea is to create a platic ramp similar to car ramps but curved in such a fashion to allow a ztr 48 or 52 to drive over it thus lifting the width of the mower high enough sideways to make it through the gate. Thus the ramp is light weight enough to be carried on the trailer and dropped into location when needed. What do you enineers think?

2. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Might work. Might end up tearing up the turf if the tire still on the ground digs in any. Last year I had one account with a 38" rear gate and with a little manuevering I could get my 48" bobcat walkbehind in, but a ztr is a whole differant story. Your idea may work though.

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I think it would work. The problem I think...without really studying it closely is the ramp itself. You want it to be easily transportable. So basically you don't want it to take up to much room and don't want to have it to heavy...basically a one man lift.

4. mikeyshane331

mikeyshane331 LawnSite Member

i'm not sure i understand what you are saying, are you talking about the gates on lawns or the one on your trailer? If you are talking about on the lawns, are the gates not about 5 feet tall, isnt that an awful high ramp to build and to take your ztr up? or do i have the absolote wrong idea?

5. RoyalZ

RoyalZ LawnSite Member

The ramp would be similar to a roller coaster style ramp in which it would be curved to the highest level in the middle and lowest level on the start and end point. In other words think about how you would turn the ZTR on its side just to fit it thorugh the gate and back again to the normal position. Kind of like a one sided skate board ramp in which the intention is NOT to lift the entire ZTR over the gate but through the gate sideways.

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I'd say :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

He said "IN" a 3' gate not OVER one....He is talking about a ramp that would turn the mower slightly sideways at an angle to get in through a gate, kinda like you'd turn a 6' couch sideways at an angle to get it through a 3' front door and then directly into an adjoining room.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think it would work. Problem as I see it would be even if you could get a workable size ramp to get the right angle to get the mower in the down side that wasn't on the ramp would have the deck digging into the turf and dragging big time.

8. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

hehehe, just make the ramp, get a good running start at it, and try to jump the gate??

9. RoyalZ

RoyalZ LawnSite Member

They jomp the gates! What do couches do they Z through a gate. Nevertheless I enjoy the witty responses...hey perhaps those dudes on tv that always prove stuff a myth or legend would hear about this one.

I think it could still work but would want to try it with your ZTR instead of mine...lol

10. mikeyshane331

mikeyshane331 LawnSite Member

ok sorry it was just a misunderstanding. i mean dang you dont have to go and get all mad at me for just misunderstanding it, i see what he was trying to say now though