Fitting headers with A/C

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by KK, Jan 14, 2001.

1. KK

KK LawnSite Member

I'm putting headers on a 350 in my '83 truck which already has air conditioning. There is a bracket on the drivers side of the engine that shares the 2nd and 3rd bolts (from the front) of the exhaust manifold. I can see that this bracket won't fit with headers. Is there a bracket that can be bought in the aftermarket that would fit this, or do I have to modify the existing one, or make a new one?

2. Jeff's Classics

Jeff's Classics LawnSite Member

I would recommend checking with the manufacturer of the headers you want to buy. The better header manufacturers offer the brackets you will need install their headers, like DynoMax, Hooker, Hedman. You need to call and verify that they have them for your specific application, though.
    Jeff
    http://www.jeffsclassics.com

3. KK

KK LawnSite Member

I got lucky today and found a bracket in the behind the counter of the local Autozone store. They didn't even have a listing in the computer for it so I offered them $10. Anyway, it looks like it matches up with the bracket on the existing engine, and clears the headers on the new one. I have a related question though, is it easier to bolt on the headers as I'm putting the new engine in place as the engine is partially pulled? Also, how well do most headers fit an '83 Chevy with a 4-spd? Is it a tight fit around the clutch linkage or frame? Thanks.

4. Power mad

Power mad LawnSite Member

The headers should fit just fine. The left header finaly blew out on my 78 k5 Blazer and I used one from a set that I had in my 73 C20. The 73 has an automatic the 78 has a 4 spd manual. Installation was a peice of cake. Now the right one is going south, and I have a problem because the bellhouseing is from a 56 truck where the starter bolts to the front of the housing instead of to the bottom of the block. So the header has to be custom made. I haven't checked into it but I know that it won't be cheap, so I think I am going to install a newer bellhousing. But the old headers must have good ones because the guy I bought this from had those headers put on in 1980. Back to the subject at hand, I've never had trouble installing headers with the engine in the truck. Big or small block

5. KK

KK LawnSite Member

Thats good to know. I've never put headers on a truck before , just passenger cars, and most have been a real pain! Its a 350 small block by the way.