1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fitting leaking at wheel motor?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Soupy, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I just had both wheel motors & pumps replaced at dealer. After cutting a couple lawns I noticed oil leaking on inside of rim. It turns out it is leaking at the fittings that connects to the wheel motor. They didn't seem real tight so I tightened them a little with no luck. How much force can I put on these to tighten them? Can I put a little teflon Tape on them? I was hoping I didn't have to take back to dealer Monday. I really need to get back to work with this mower.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would not use the mower if its leaking, it could also be sucking air in and causing performance issues.
    I would get it to the dealer ASAP.
    The fittings on your mower are Parker Seal-Lok fittings, they use o-rings, Teflon tape isn't going to do much.

Pj

3. Soupy

It rained here so i did not use it. It is at dealer now. Is the seals part of the lifetime warranty?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Soupy

Mower is fixed. Next question, Can I spray engine degreaser from car wash to get all the oil that leaked everywhere from the hydro failure off. Then rinse with a low pressure rinse. I noticed oil around the clutch and pulleys under the mower etc. I figured I would spray the whole mower down with degreaser.

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The lines and fittings are covered under the lifetime warranty.
    As to degreaser, you have to be careful using chemicals around belts and electrical components.
    Also I would use a regular garden hose when rinsing the mower off.

Pj