Fitting Organizer

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by hoskm01, Nov 22, 2005.

1. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good way to organize and store your different pipe fittings? Tool boxes, cardboard boxes etc... With a large accumulation of fittings, it is getting difficult to find what I need moving from one job to another. Any pics would be great. Thanks.
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I use a three drawer plastic organizer from Walmart. I have to replace a drawer about once every 3-4 months from getting bashed with a shovel, but it works well.

Top shelf holds marlex and MPT fittings, each in their own bin. 2nd drawer is full of 1" fittings, bottom drawer is 3/4". I have milk crates with 1.25,1.5 and 2" in a different part of my truck bed.
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Most of our "routine" fittings are in the boxes of the truck. Can't carry a whole lot because we deal with PVC, galvanized and QC system parts on a daily basis and routinely up to 2-1/2" size. We also us milk crates to hold extra various parts in the bed of the truck and we rely heavily on reducer bushings. Most of the time we can get through a repair/replacement situation with what we have on hand but occasionally just don't quite have what we need. One of us will run to the shop (or supplier if they are closer) to get exactly what we need but I know that isn't an option for you guys because time is money.
  4. I built a drawer type unit in the back of my truck...I'll take a pic today if I get a chance....gonna be doing some sod it may not happen....ugh.

Also, weatherguard and Adrian Steel and probably some others make a big drawer unit that bolts to the bed of the truck....I had one of those once, back in the good old days when money was no object...*sigh*...Weatherguards is called a "packrat"

They are heavy, you wouldn't want them in a smallish truck, but the F250 never felt it.

I built one for 10% of the cost...not as pretty but almost as effective.
  5. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

I use clear plastic bins with lids, about $3-$4 each. Since they are clear it's easy to see what's inside, and they stack on each other very nicely in the truck bed.
  6. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have the weatherguard packrat sprinklerguy was talking about

it's not the one in the picture but one that is wider... almost takes up the width of the bed... very very convenient....

it is heavy though so if you are taking it out of your truck a lot to haul things it becomes a pain... I couldn't find the drawers my old company would use... they are a lot lighter but pretty much the same idea..
  7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

THanks for the info. SprinklerGuy, if you have a picture of your rig, would be much appreciated. Now to decide which way to go. Thanks again.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The accumulation of different fittings is why you want to consider standardizing things. In poly territory, lots of guys use only one inch pipe.
  9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Standardization is a good thing. We're a PVC area and work with a lot of larger sized lines so there is a lot more involved. When it comes to sprinklers/valves/controllers we've tried to standardize based on reliability, cost and availability. When it comes to fittings we rely heavily on reducer bushings instead of carrying every conceivable fitting. When we go out on a repair job where the pipe is 2" or less we have probably a 90% chance of having what we need on our trucks.

However, since we're a "service organization" compared to you guys that are trying to earn your livelihood we always have the option of shutting down a repair job until time/parts are gathered. I have one site where an old manual system needs repair. The site guy cranked down too hard on a brass right angle valve (5th one he's broken now) and broke the stem. The isolation valve handle/stem had been stripped off a long time ago and apparently never been repaired. Fortunately there was just enough stem that we were able to turn this gate valve off with Channelocks. Our plan is to replace both valves at the same time but the domestic water will require shutting down. I've scheduled this repair work for the Christmas holidays when schools are shut down so it won't affect anything.

We're also gearing up for a complete new system of a Little League baseball field that is located at one of the middle schools. The field is a combination 60/90 foot base paths field and is also the middle school's varsity field. This one will have to be coordinated with soccer season as part of the outfield contains the end of one school soccer field. We'll start the system and install those areas that don't impact the soccer field and then complete it during the Christmas vacation. That way the trenches will be adequately compacted before soccer season resumes in January.
  10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

IMO it depends on what you are doing. For service work that Pac rat drawer is great, for new installs any bigger than 1 trac home I think you will need a few. I am an organizer freak, the problem is I don't do the work, so things I set up for organizing don't usually work unless I am all over the guys, and that takes time. With my old/big company we just had parts delivered to the job site and left them there until they were done. Then we brought what was left took a quick inventory to see what we had a lot of then didn't order that the next job. You have probably seen Aridscape Concepts around town thats one of my old partners he does 25-30 mil a year in residential L/S they have those Royal truck beds with the compartments but mostly for tools they have a standing "New job order" with Ewing they just call up and have the same thing sent to every job. That's enough to get production rolling and then the foreman makes a order to complete the job. They carry very few parts around with them. And what they do is in buckets because thats the way the crew likes it. Remember there is a balance between the time you spend being organized and the time you spend looking for whatever. I could probably remodel my house with the time and $$ I have spent trying to organize the guys over the years.