1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fitting through gates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mitchellmeines, Dec 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mitchellmeines

mitchellmeines LawnSite Member

I am looking at purchasing a walk behind that is smaller than my 52" stand on for the purpose of fitting into the gated backyards, push mowing these backyards is pretty much a waste of time. I am trying to find a walk behind that isn't really small but will still go through the gates. I have heard from some other people in the business that you can "hook" a medium to larger walk behind into gated backyards. I have been looking at the Toro 40" floating deck belt drive as an option, but wouldn't put a 48" Toro or Exmark Turf Tracer out of the picture if they will make it into gated yards.

2. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 36 scag for gates.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

If it were me, I would do a 32" or 36". I wouldn't want to chance damaging property . And by the time you get it in you'll have lost the little time gained by a deck a few inches bigger. What size gates are at your properties?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. mitchellmeines

mitchellmeines LawnSite Member

I would say most of the are between 38 and 42 inches, the small ones that I am having trouble with that is. The rest of the gated properties are double gates so fitting my 52" stand on is not breaking a sweat.

5. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

If there 38-42 inches I would go with a 36'' WB. because a 36'' and 52'' is a pretty good combo.

6. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't get the 40" Toro... this deck is known to pack up and leave clumps due to its configuration of 3 blades contained in a such a small deck. Do a search of the 40" toro turboforce deck and you will see several complaints.

Also I wouldn't try to "hook" a mower through a gate because the tires will tear up the grass when you're trying to pivot and maneuver the mower through the gate. It might not hurt the turf the first time you do it but it will eventually as you'll have to place the mower the same exact way every week when you're trying to maneuver it through a small gate

7. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

personally i'd never put anything bigger than the gate opening into the back yard.

if the gate opening isn't wide enough for the 40" or 48" your considering i'd go down to a 36".

why mess with the risk of damaging your mower or the clients property or fence?

plus i can drive a 36" mower through the gate opening faster than someone could "hook" a 40" mower through that same gate opening.

people make things so complicated some times.

8. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

You're not going to be anymore productive using a 40 over a 36 in just back yards. Get the 36 it will use the same blades as the 52 too. It may be cheaper and easier to convert the gates over to allow the larger mower in than to buy a new mower for a few accounts.

9. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

36 all the way!!! no need to hastle with "hooking" it in. 52-36 is a good combo too, like metioned before. atleast thats what i run and that seems to be most efficient for me.

10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

If you're running a 52" then get the same brand 36" mower to have interchangable blades and spindles.