1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fitting through gates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mitchellmeines, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Home owners know all. That would be my guess. I stopped wondering what they were thinking a long time ago.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. BrunoT

BrunoT LawnSite Senior Member

48" is probably too close to 52". It would make more sense to replace the 52" with the 48" if it fit into gates the 52" doesn't. I have a 40" floater I got for the same reason you're considering it but rarely use it. Luckily most narrow-gated back yards here are small enough to use a 21". I realized over the years that it's rarely cost-effective to buy a gates-only machine unless you have a ton of them. This is my second one in two decades and neither has had much use. In some cases it might be better to just pass on those lawns or modify the gate and work that into the price.

But, as a backup to your regular machine it can make sense to keep one around. Doubly so if you can find a used one. I'd probably go 32" if you want to maximize the number of gates you can get through. It's always a tradeoff between productivity and the ability to enter more gated yards.
  3. BrunoT

BrunoT LawnSite Senior Member

You can take the interior front baffle out and it helps a lot with that. It gives it a more open space to throw clippings much like the old 44" sfs decks.
  4. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

For residential the 36 is the way to go. I'm always amazed when I see guys with a rider and a push mower in a trailer. It makes me want to stop them and ask them what the hell they were thinking. With any any slopes or imperfections in many residential yards the 36' will do a much better job on the whole yard. The problem with a 32" is it comes with skinny tires but weighs almost the same as a 36 so rutting can be an issue.
  5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i don't seem to have any problem with hills and imperfections.

now if by rider you mean sit down rider i can't make an accurate statement because i only used a sit down ztr for a week cutting all my properties with it once while my mower was in the shop.

i use a 52" grandstand on all my properties. they are mostly 1/4 to 1/2 an acre in size. the only time the 36" gets pulled off the trailer is for the 2 gated backyards where the 52" won't fit.

i don't do commercial properties, all residential and i can't imagine only using a 36".
  6. mitchellmeines

mitchellmeines LawnSite Member

Ya this mower will be my back up mower for my 52" which is why I wanted to lean towards the 40" toro. BrunoT, what year is your toro 40" wall behind. It's the turbo force deck?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

I agree, for the price difference, the little productivity difference and mostly the non wieght difference issue I would go with the 36 - for smaller size yards its the way to go up to 1/2 acre - this is a broad statement, everything make change if you consider access to the property and what you have to cut up to an around and how soft the ground is on a regular basis.
  8. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 40" and it doesn't clump? Also I was thinking of a 60" as my next mower why is a 52 the prefered larger size?
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  9. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

From what others say is that even with new fences most gates these days being 5'/60". So the largest to go through is a 54" mower.
  10. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Never mind the gate issue I have a 40" for that problem, why is a 52 preferred over a 60 it seems the 60 would be more productive? Trailer space possibly?