1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fittings question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Chillenk20, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Chillenk20

Chillenk20 LawnSite Member

Am I safe by using a sch. 80 male fitting to go into my backflow preventer or should I use a copper or brass male fitting and then go to pvc? Obviously the coppper or brass will be stronger, but is the pvc strong enough that it doesn't matter?
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

'doesn't matter' in what way? Are you going to tether the Budweiser Clydesdales to your backflow preventer? If you are showing real class, you have nothing but copper and brass above grade.
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Wet boots is correct but you can do it either way.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I used to have the opinion that it didn't really matter, but the statement that I'd never had any problem with the PVC had to be retracted when some nimrod on a roof dropped a tray of tools on a manifold of anti-syphon valves.

Even without sloppy guys on roofs, there can be settling near a foundation, where your backflow plumbing is, and plastic can crack and/or shear. Admittedly, this is more of a northern problem, with the deeper foundations.
  5. Beartooth

Beartooth LawnSite Member

PVC was NEVER made to be exposed to the elements especially sunshine. The sun will break down and weaken the PVC over time. Use copper--you won't regret it!!
  6. Chillenk20

Chillenk20 LawnSite Member

my backflow is below ground in a valve box so the pvc will not be exposed to sunlight. Sorry I didn't make that clear when I started the thread. where I live we have minimal regulation on backflowsl.
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Out here in Doublecheck land our backflows are buried, but I still plumb brass from the POC to the double check, and then PVC on from there.
  8. kozmo

kozmo LawnSite Member

do you use all threaded connections in our area [jersey] solder won't pass code in ground.
  9. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

same here..
  10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Brass, brass, brass... copper, copper, copper. Around here it's mostly galvanized pipe. :laugh: