fix a cracked gas tank

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by desert rose gardening, Feb 10, 2005.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

What are some of the ways you have fixed a crack in a gas tank or does somebody sell a type of "JB WELD" for gas tanks. I was shutting a gate yesterday and my weedeater fell and cracked the gas tank. I called five local shops and no one stocks that tank, a common Shindawa. I had to order one and I will have one in a few days. I fixed one a few years ago, I just can't remeber how!

2. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Marine epoxy is impervious to gas and should do the trick. I have repaired steel tanks, and has held for years.

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

The br400 I found had something even worse the tank was not separate so when a worker broke the threads on the tank where the cap was we had to buy the entire back of the housing on the blower. I think you brought up a good reason not to throw away your old equipment though we use to have a graveyard where you could get a part in moments when something broke or fell off. Like those screws that shindawa uses.

5. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

JB Weld has been on my BR400 for 3 years now.........it works and it's a bunch cheaper than a new tank assy.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I had an exhaust muffler rest up against one of my 5 gallon gas cans and put a hole in it. A dab of 'ol JB Weld did the trick as well.

8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

hedge trimmers leaned on my pos exmark and melted several holes in the tank

9. lawn_jockey

lawn_jockey LawnSite Member

I have glob of JB weld on my tiger cub plastic tank. Not a drip for 2 years. Works on metal, plastic, rubber...

10. No Sweat L/C

No Sweat L/C LawnSite Member

Just make sure that you clean up the area first. Use some Nail polish remover (Acetone) Old gas and oil stains need to be sanded with medium grit sandpaper before you apply JB weld. I usally do a thin coat first time and let harden a day. If it has a hole or large crack try to work in some metal window screening into the first layer of expoxy. Let he first layer dry then sand it again. Then put on a thicker coat and let dry at least a day or two before using.
    The new Stihl blowers have a replaceable gas tank now!!