Fix a flat tire inflator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToroMaster, Oct 6, 2004.

1. ToroMaster

ToroMaster LawnSite Member
    from Neenah

I keep a can of fix-a-flat in my truck at all times. No matter what goes through my tires fix-a-flat works perfectly everytime. I pulled out a wire hanger out of my rear tire on my Z. By the next job it was completly flat, I used the fix-a-flat and it was just like new. I can remember using a least three other cans on the same tire. Does anyone else know what a time saver fix-a-flat is!

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not had a flat yet, but I will now add a can of fix a flat to my rig for future flats. Thanks for the idea.

3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

ask your mechanic how he likes it when he has to go remove the stuff from the rim when you get a new tire. They arent real happy about those jobs.

4. ToroMaster

ToroMaster LawnSite Member
    from Neenah

I'll let the mechanic (myself) that changes the tire every four years put up with the junk on the rim. As for fixing flats on your trucks, use a plug, the liquid throws the balance of your tire off. As for saving TONS of money in down time, I am still a huge fan of fix-a-flat.

5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I like the green "Slime" stuff. It seems to work better than fix a flat.

6. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I had a local tire shop use that fix a flat stuff and the tire still leaked, slimy crap oozed out every time it got hot outside. Went to the local auto shop and bought a plug kit for 5 bucks. Took me five minutes to fix and it's held pressure ever since.

7. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

If you change your own tires, you'll stop using liquid in tires real quick. What a huge mess.
    In our case each truck has a plug kit in the tool box and carries a portable air tank. At least the air tank gets used a couple times a week and saves trips to get air @ gas stations.
    Quick and easy fix.

8. a a green

a a green LawnSite Member

I keep 3 cans of fix a flat in the truck, And I have one of my mowers loaded with the pink slime. I was going to use the green stuff but the dealer talked my dad into putting in the pink stuff I dont know the difference. I had 2 flats in the same day at the same time on 2 different mowers, just 2 weeks ago and fix a flat didnt work. For most other problems it works. but dont try to take the tire off with any metal to metal contact that will cause a spark... and if you take the tire someplace to get it fixed let them know you used fix a flat. I Blows Up...

9. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

You know what works better? Green Slime. It is more expensive but it fills holes up to 1/4 inch thick. Since I've used it I have never had a flat. Use to get them often from running a tire across a piece of steel edging. You can get it at any Auto parts store or most lawn dealers carry it.

10. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know if their is any truth to this, but I was told that the fix a flat stuff and other similar products will actually make the rim rust over time from the inside out. Has anyone else heard this