Fix-a-Flat Tire Slime Debate

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Scagman 48, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Scagman 48

Scagman 48 LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys earlier this fall i noticed a constant flat on my billy goat tires and kept doing the rope trick i got sick of this and in pure fury i grabbed a can on fix-a-flat and gave it two shots and it solved my problem. Recently i noticed the same in my scag tire and it had 70% tread left and no way was i changing that tire and i gave it a shot of fix-a-flat and some air and it seems to be holding better than ever and saved myself $$$$. When i replace my two castors im convinced that i will be slimming them. Is there a huge issue i will run into if i do need to change tires at some point?:confused:

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i don't use front tires that hold air. i use the semi-pneumatic tires. some don't like them because they think the ride is rougher but they don't bother me at all.

3. HPI_Savage25

HPI_Savage25 LawnSite Member

Slime or fix a flat isn't bad to use until you have to change the tire yourself. Wen you go to take the tire off the rim it can make a mess. It seems to get everywhere if you aren't careful. Othe than making a mess it can't hurt anything. Now on a side note, I wouldn't ever use it in a car or truck that has tpms in the wheels. As far as mowers go and trailer tires, I slime away...
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Scagman 48

Really.. this is interesting i have to look into them thanks for the info Jason!

5. Scagman 48

Yeah i wouldnt put that in my truck tires lol and thanks for the info!!

6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I slime all my tires. I plan to take all 8 tires off my dump trailer next week and slime all of them. I keep three bottles of slime in my tool box on my truck
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. scotts lawn care

scotts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to slime all the front castor tires on my mowers this spring. I do carry a tire plug kit with us in the truck - and a 12v tire inflator which has saved us alot of headaches!

My 930a Z came with rubber front castors - which are great.

8. Scagman 48

Hey kajun how are getting them off if god forbid i ever have a blow out?

9. Scagman 48

yeah i wish my scag did mine is a 2006 so scag didnt get there crap together yet on that

10. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Both my skidsteers have a gallon in each tire. As for replacement, thats the tire guys problem.
    Posted via Mobile Device