Fix-a-flat?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pilotcoplawnboy, Apr 17, 2003.

1. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

What do you guys use to fix ur flats? I have one tire on the front of my walker that want stay inflated. It's a small tubeless tire. Thanks!

2. Precision Care

Precision Care LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

"slime" works great

3. lawnmutt

lawnmutt LawnSite Member

Small tires.

Foam fill them.

Forget them.

4. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I had a drive tire on my wb that kept going down over night. Had to get out the tire pump every morning. Got tired of that after about 3 days. Threw som fix-a-flat in there, and havent had a problem with it since. This was last year in the summer. It sat all winter long in the shed. Took it out last month, and the tire hadn't lost a lb.:D

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Fix-a-flat is water based and will eventually rust your rim until it will not hold a bead. I bought a trailer from a friend and he said one of the tires kept going flat even though he kept putting fix-a-flat in it. I was there when the service station put a new tire on it and there was literally over a gallon of fix-a-flat in the tire. They put a new tire on it and still went flat. The inside rim was so rusted it would not hold a bead. Slime is not water based and as worked well for me. Do a search on this site, on this product and you will find numerous similar testimonials.

MATT

6. Dan's lawn care

Dan's lawn care LawnSite Member

Foam i got it in all my tires and my dad has it in his skid loader tires and they never go flat and he uses it on constucin sites and there is alot of nails and sharp stuff and it work great. it might be costly but in the long run it will save you money

7. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

walker.....by the time my rim rusts out I will have a new mower...:D

8. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

Thanks. I like the foam idea.;)

9. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I just used this AmerSeal for a small leak and worked great, supposed to prevent leaks up to 1/4 " diameter..

Lou :cool:

10. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried fix-a-flat because it is easily applied in the field and also inflates the tire. However during the first off season it all leaked out, and the tires went flat. This year I debated foam filled but didnt like the cost and hassle involved with painting rims to match etc.
    So I purchased the sealant that J-Thomas sells and so far its worked great. It says it will seal up to a 1/4" puncture. Updates will come later in the year.

Jimbo