Fix Your Business on the Toilet title question

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by dllawson, Mar 8, 2013.

1. dllawson

dllawson LawnSite Member

I got the following email tonight from a well regarded consultant I have worked with, “Read your 21 day program. This is just what a new owner needs, in the trench down and dirty info in how to do it. I loved the flow and detail – very well done. However, I don't like the title, I know what you are trying to say but just don't think it's in good taste. It also just doesn't say what is on the inside.”

The title is Fix Your Business on the Toilet: A 21-Day Program to More Profitable Landscape Management. I chose the title because it is attention grabbing and because the program only requires 5 minutes of reading each day. I posted the Fix Your Business on the Toilet thread in the Business Management section and it has had almost 3000 views in 3 weeks.

That tells me the title is working to get people’s attention, but I also think my friend may have a point.

What do you guys think?

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I think a bunch of people said it gets attention but maybe not positive vibes. Certainly not professional. I like fart jokes as much as the next guy buy Why can't it be fix your business in 5 minutes?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

For some reason I never clicked on THAT thread....until. I saw this one. Granted many of my Facebook post do.often originate from that.area of.the.house but I.don't tell all my.friends, subscribers and lurkers that best.left. not.mentioned FACTOID.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

So, know anyone who has bought and used the book? Reviews on it?

5. dllawson

dllawson LawnSite Member

That is a great point, Thanks

6. z71tiger

z71tiger LawnSite Senior Member

For some reason I never clicked on THAT thread....until. I saw this one. Granted many of my Facebook post do.often originate from that.area of.the.house but I.don't tell all my.friends, subscribers and lurkers that best.left. not.mentioned FACTOID.

I think you forgot a couple periods. Haha

7. Mayor of Mow Town

Mayor of Mow Town LawnSite Member

From your previous posts, I had actually never considered that the reference to "on the toilet" was related to the 5 min lessons. I thought you were saying the guide was how to fix businesses that are cr@p. Insulting potential customers by telling them their business stinks is not a good strategy.

Either way, I don't think the images the title conjures up are doing you any favours.

Perhaps you are better off with a title that focuses on the results your book provides.

8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

I wholeheartedly agree with your friend. If you take yourself out of the equation, and role-play as Joe Landscaper seeing it advertised on the pages of Lawn & Landscape, Turf, etc, would you take it seriously? I would wager that if you A/B split-test "Fix Your Business on the Toilet" vs. something more serious, like "Green to Green: Taking Your Landscaping Business to Profitable in 5 Minutes a Day", and doubled your price, you would see Green to Green convert better.

Since you're just getting started with the web site, there's no better time than now to run just such a split-test.

9. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

It took a well regarded consultant for you to realize how bad the title is? I think people on this forum already gave their opinion of the title and you said you were stuck on using it.

Anyway, I bought the pamphlet and it is good info but costs too much for the amount of information it has. If I hadn't seen it posted on here I wouldn't have ever considered it simply because of the title.

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

so what if you don't sit on the toilet every single day of your life? after all i'm not a girl. i don't do #2 every single day of my life.